Trouble wth 3 year old DS

Yesterday I took my DS to the playground and he decided halfway down a slide that it was too hot so he jumped off the side and scraped his cheek a little bit. Didn't bleed, probably won't even show by tomorrow. However every person that has asked him what happened has gotten a different story out of him. This morning he told someone that daddy hit him last night because he was crying. This isn't true! Daddy wasn't even home last night he was at his brother's house! AND DS didn't even cry at bedtime last night. Now I'm worried about this. I told his teacher at school what happened but I don't know what else to do. We don't spank, we don't smack hands, we use time outs and non-physical options. I don't want to look like I'm trying to cover something up by telling his teacher what happened before they can ask him about it, but I don't want him telling people things that are untrue. He already got to sit in a time out for lying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All kids do it: he lied for attention, now as for his including his dad in it might imply that he wished he was there when it happened!? If you want to tell his teacher what happened before he does jst explain the situation and let her know that when he was asked what happened he changed the story and the story he told was alarming so to prevent confusion or cause worry you're letting her know. He learne to lie some where so if you want it to stop you need to get him to realize lying can get some one hurt(I mean emotionally) or in trouble. Good luck and best wishes!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think it was smart to tell the school you need to watch that because people alway asume the worst about people. Maybe have your child talk to a counsler at school and see if something else is going on. My friend had a child that called 911 when her mom sent her to her room as punishment and she said that her mom beat her and she was afraid to come out of the room. She would never do that to her children, but she had clear things up and come to find out there was a situation going on at schhol. Good luck !
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think most kids do this. Your child's teachers has seen this 100 times I'm sure. Teachers know what to look for. My DD went on for months about a time she fell outside and every time she told the story it was different. Also make sure you tell your child the implications of that lie. That you and his dad could get in BIG trouble with the law, etc. etc. if anyone believed him. Just keep doing what your doing. Punish him every time he lies. He'll out grow it. But if it gets worse and/or doesn't stop, you might think about talking to the counselor. Good luck to you!
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 10:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Just tell him the story of the boy who cried wolf. You need to stress the importance of honesty if he is starting to tell tall tales. He is old enough to grasp this concept if he is old enough to know he is not telling the truth.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009