Flying with a 6month old to AZ....

Tips from your trips? I'm so excited!!!!!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Watch out for ill people. That swine flu is not to be taken lightly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Toys, books, snacks, bottles, carseat, anything that is his favorite bring it on the plane. Most airline will allow you to check a stroller at the plane, if you wanted to take his stroller with.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Breastfeed or offer a bottle during take-off and landing to keep ears from popping as pressure adjusts. Don't carry too much on the plane because managing a baby in your lap takes up enough room... a couple of toys/books, whatever helps her sleep (baby wrap, pacifier, small blanket, whatever..), maybe some baby food if it's going to be a long flight during one of her mealtimes. Then just try to ignore the people who give you a dirty look assuming your baby's going to cry the whole time...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You can only bring the carseat on the plane if you have bought a seat for her OR if the plane is not full. If you're hoping for this second option, you can check the carseat at the gate (but this is only convenient if it attaches to your stroller)... then you can ask at the gate (not at the counter before security) if there's an empty seat next to you. If so, most airlines will let you bring the carseat, which is GREAT.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:17 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I always gave my kids benadryl before flights, it helped with their ears, and like another poster said, Bottles or Boobies are good for take off and landing and keeps the ear's popping
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:20 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I haven't flown with my son but we took a 10 hour car trip a couple of weeks ago. We brought new toys he had never played with before to keep him entertained. And we also brought bottles of milk and juice. He doesn't usually get juice so it was also something new and exciting for him.
    Also, if you are bringing your carseat... I would probably go and get a Cosco Scenera for the trip (a convertible for only around $50) if you aren't carrying it on. I wouldn't trust them with my more expensive infant seat...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Lap babies can become a projectile during severe turbulance or a crash; buy a seat, bring a carseat (has the additional value of being familiar to your baby. A carseat that converts to a stroller is an added bonus, as is the extra storage for carryons.
    When my daughter was an infant, a flight attendant showed me how to rub behind her ears to alleviate the pressure (won't work on grownups, though). Chew toys help, along with the above tips.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2009