What's Your Opinion on Discipline in the Public Schools...

Or should I say, lack thereof!
Do you think it was a good thing or not, to eliminate corporal discipline, or any discipline for that matter, from the classrooms of our public schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no I believe in corporal punishment for children and so do our schools here depending on the offence. So we've really never had issues with punishment in school.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 10:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It is not a good thing. Kids act up because they know they can and there won't be any consequenses.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• if anyone even thought of corporal punishment on my daughter, i would risk going to jail & throw some corporal punishment right back at them. I'll whoop someone if they touch my child, but i don't spank kids, instead I taught my daughter how to behave, so i don't need to spank her. Never have.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It is not the school responsibility to discipline children. Not enough parents are doing what they need to do at home, and are relying on the school system to instill values in their children instead of doing it themselves. Teachers are go to school to learn how to educate children not punish them. The responsibility is the parent's. If parents are parenting their children correctly they wouldn't have to worry about their behavior in a school setting.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i live in GA. It is still legal here, but i've never heard of anyone using it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• When I was little, if something happened on school grounds the principal was allowed to dole out the punishment, be it a swat on the behind or having to do stuff after school.

I had a little boy once who threw a rock and smacked me in the forehead, he also slapped my best friend across the face. He was swatted on the bum by the principal and I cannot tell you how good it made me feel to know he was being punished right then and there for hurting us.

His family was nuts so he didnt get much discipline at home and I agree thats where it needs to start but I also like the idea of the principal (not the teachers) doling out punishment depending on what happened.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think that might have something to do with it but I don't want them to bring it back. I'd rather discipline my kids myself. My dad went to a Catholic school in the 50s and he talks about the abuse he received from the nuns while there. He remembers being like 7 and hauled to the front of the class by his ear and having his hands smacked with a ruler until they were red and numb.
    If anyone did that to a child today they would be arrested but it was perfectly acceptable back then. He was terrified of his teachers. But he was more terrified of his parents because when word got back home that he had been naughty in school his mother would take an electrical cord to his backside.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It IS the schools job to discipline a child, maybe not by physical means, but there should be a consequence for their negative actions. Sadly, there aren't
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You can't expect children to go to school and behave perfectly, even if you are a perfect parent and teach them to be respectful children etc... I think that if parents were more involved at school the kids wouldn't feel so free at school... I went and sat in my 12 yr olds class and he didn't know I was coming. He wasn't doing anything bad at school, he just didn't want to stay on task so I thought being there might make him wake up and make him think... Well it worked, not a problem since and that was back in February. Join the PTC, make yourself known at school, our boys know I'm not afraid to show up and they don't know when.... BTW, this is JMO...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No one except me and my husband should ever put their hands (rulers,yardsticks, paddles) on my child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2009