Supposing, if you will, that there IS a GOD...

Why is it always assumed that if there is a God (for the sake of argument, in this context, God=Creator) that He/She/It is omnipotent, omniscient, PERFECT in everyway, capable of no wrong, etc,etc, etc. Why isn't it ever considered that being responsible for our existence is merely GREATER or more POWERFUL than us but, NOT PERFECT? Isn't that an option? Also, I didn't include "They" because I don't really know about Polytheism & if the idea of omniscience & omnipotence applies (please inform & do share!)

**I'm refering conceptually to the idea of God, so answer as you wish, but know I'm seeking to understand everyones view but, not thier doctrines, sacred texts, or
prophets, etc. Please try to keep that in mind**

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can totally see where you're going with this. I've often wondered about the "perfect" idea of god (however we choose to interpret god).

I've decided that even if my creator is not perfect, my creator wants the best for me and will always love me. I base this on a very simple comparison. If I (as a mere human) am able to love my children so much and without condition, then surely my creator is capable of this as well. I have faults and I may not always be the best that I can be...but I am capable of unending love.

I like to think my creator is perfect (or at least more perfect than me) but even if my creator is not perfect, I'm ok with that too!

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I don't think God (the Christian God) is perfect. I don't recall him ever saying he was. JESUS was perfect. God admits that he's a jealous God. So that right there isn't perfect.... Read the bible...Investigate for yourself...
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm not really sure where people get the idea that "God" is perfect. From the Bible, I assume.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• so God is not perfect?
    rubipresiosa

Answer by rubipresiosa at 11:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I am Christian. Maybe he isn't perfect. I mean he put the knees on flamingos backwards.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I get what you're asking! If God was/is perfect then how can humans be so imperfect!? Simple: Adam & Eve are the first humans ever. Eve went against Gods wishes and ate from the forbidden tree, and Adam ate with her. By disobeying God they were kicked out of the garden of eden. Instead of killing them and starting over(to also prove a point to Satan) he had them grow old and die. Now because they had sinned ANY child from them would be born in sin. If you read bible accounts and think about the past you will realize nothing has changed except the time. God is poweful, did the red sea teach us nothing, or even Jesus's life!? How can we look up into the sky and see the stars and question Gods power and ability? The greatest trick the devil ever performed was convincing people he doesn't exsist!!! And thw 1 time Go acted in anger he destroyed the earth w the great flood and vowed never to do it again(rainbow's the reminder of it)
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I tend to look at it this way. I believe in the possibility of a higher life form. But I tend to think that if such a higher life form exists, why would they even know about, or care about our existence, let alone answer prayers and such. Think about ants. Do ants think that we are Gods? Do they pray and worship us? I mean we do have the ability to smite them at will, or we can leave them be, or even maybe indirectly help them ( by leaving crumbs and food and such ). If ants do pray to us, would you even listen, or care?

If a higher life form exists, I believe it came about the same way we did. It evolved over time. The universe is billions of years old, and whose to say how many different forms life could take in all that time. And no I don't believe they would be perfect.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I've never understood the obsession with perfection. Especially when it comes down to the divine. I suspect that the idea comes from the Enlightenment period when God was considered the clockmaker in a perfect universe.With the advance of the chaos theory this idea isn't tenable anymore. But from a polytheistic POV, the Gods are very fallible but that in no way diminishes their Godhood.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone...James 1:13
    Holy, is the Lord God Almighty who was, and is, and is to come...Rev 4:8
    This is what I believe.
    If you do not follow the Bible, these things probably have no meaning to you. They have all meaning to me and my family.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I forgot to add that it's more likely from a Deist perspective that the idea of God as the Clockmaker originated.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2009