What school projects do other moms have to help their kids with?

tngirl1977

Asked by tngirl1977 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have done a lot of cutting and pasting for science fair (one more year, I think) and history fair (I think we are done with that).
    It is very easy to fall into a trap of doing work, so be very careful. In fifth grade i started pulling myself out of day-to-day homework checking (first time the kid managed to get all As, go figure).
    I will occasionally type an essay for her, but I spend more time fighting with myself over editing, I really try not to do it. If you have more questions for a mom who has been there, feel free to contact me directly.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I always help. Kids have a hard time with time management, organization, and information that is on topic. The key word is help and no doing. I make myself available to proof-read, type, cut, glue, etc. We just helped my 8th son do a large Soc. Stud. project on the Civil War. He had to make a
    3-D model of the topography of the Battle of Atlanta. He and my husband worked for a week cutting a board, making flour paste dough, forming the dough, painting. I helped him during the drying time with the typing, internet searching (him on one computer & me on another) doing work cited page correctly. It ended up being a lot of fun and he was quite satisfied with his effort. He learned a lot to boot. The key is start with plenty of time and do something each night. The final night is just final touches.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Just helped my son finish his science fair project. I have also helped with bookreports (they have to be elaborate projects, LOL) and social studies projects.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have shown them how to cut and paste, and I proof read. That is all at this point. Last night I had to figure out which way to put the paper back in the printer so it would print on the other side and be in the right orientation. It took three tries. The first time the second side printed right over the first side, so I had to flip it over and try again. Then of course the back and front did not line up right with the up and down. I should write down how it was done, but chances are that I wouldn't be able to find the papper or would buy a new printer or something. I'm more tech support than research assistant, can you tell?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i have sewn alot for school. I have made chair pocket organizers, tooth fairy pillows, i have performed emergcy surgery on stuffed bears and other toys for the classes over time. But as far as school assigned projects i try not to help too much with those. Though i will have to admit i have helped make a fabric death train for a holocaust project, and other projects for school, i try to add motherly advice and let them have the rest.
    Nickquilts

Answer by Nickquilts at 11:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I help out with proofreading and time management ( like how to set goals for individual sections of the project), and sometimes help them brainstorm at the beginning, . I have found that they get much more satisfaction from the finished product when they do it themselves, and as a parent I shouldn't have to do research, cut and paste, glue, build a bridge, etc. I HAVE promised to help my daughter with a clownfish costume for next month (not being a very good seamstress I am NOT looking forward to that!) but she's doing all the research and writing herself. I think that you don't do kids any favors by doing their work for them.
    napoli

Answer by napoli at 11:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I've helped make costumes (he designs, we discuss, he revises, we make!). I proofread and provide typing services - although I have told him that he will learn to type in the summer holidays this year! Other than that, I help by checking his maths sheet, testing times-tables and spellings, asking questions and providing research material & support with internet searching.
    The main way my husband and I help with homework is to give encouragement and teach time-management skills. He has now (age 11) started to plan his own homework schedule and I can see the efforts beginning to pay off!
    LizzieMade

Answer by LizzieMade at 5:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2009