Is it safe to get a tattoo while pregnant?

I was just curious if it was safe to get a small tattoo on my foot while being pregnant. I would think the answer is no... but I want opinions and advice..

Cameolynn

Asked by Cameolynn at 11:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A reputable place won't tattoo you. Why not wait, if you're going to have it forever then what's a few months without it :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No, and if you try to go in and get one and the artist finds out you are pregnant, 99% of them will not tattoo you.

There is a risk of infection if the tattoo is not cared for properly (and sometimes even if IS cared for properly). There is a risk of miscarriage in early pregnancy due to the stress on the body even if YOU don't feel stressed.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No. As Prettytraytay says, the good places won't touch you while you are pregnant and you don't want to go to the bad places.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Just wait till the baby comes what a few more months??!!
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• the main reason they dont do it is because of the hormones in your body, the ink wont take and theyll have to touch it up and go over it again when the baby comes, the risk of infection is very low as long as you go to a respectable tattoo shop and take care of the tattoo when you leave the shop.
    Anonymous

• the adrenilin rush that comes with getting a tattoo can initiate labor. plus the risk of hepititis from a diry needle, which is totally uncommon these days but still, not worth the risk. i was super sad when i was only a week away from my tatoo apt when i found out i was prego again but it ended up being good cuz the tatoo was gonna have my sons name on it so now i can add both names!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I got an tattoo before i knew i was pregnant and when i found out i was pregnant while getting the tattoo i was super stressed and worried for the baby. But no its not safe.
    stars_silly

Answer by stars_silly at 12:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i got a tattoo when i was 20 weeks. and lots of my friends did as well. the reason the artists will not do it though is bc if you dont take care of it you risk infection. not bc of anything entering your bloodstream or blah blah. my ink took just fine.. im pretty sure your horomones have nothing to do with that.. i know thats true of perms or stuff for your hair.. and if this is your first one, or you have low pain tolerence and you pass out the artists arent prepared to deal with a PREGNANT woman passed out. which is totally understandable. thats scary. if youre showing and you have to fill out paperwork anyway and they ask on it if your pregnant they wont touch you so it doesnt really matter anyway.
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 1:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i got one at about 22 weeks... the tattoo shop had me fill out paperwork and it said nothing about being prego. (i wouldn't have lied if it said i couldn't do it while prego.) the p;lace i went is a very reputable shop but i didn't tell them i was pregnant and i wasn't very big so they didn't know. i did a lot of research before and everything i read said that if it doesn't stress you out then it won't stress your baby out either. i never get stressed, i love getting tattoos and it doesn't hurt me at all... i just made sure to take deep breaths and chill the whole time. my ink took just fine and it is a beautiful tattoo and my son is perfect! so i think it is a personal decision and has a lot to do with how you react to getting tattooed... if you have never gotten one before i would maybe wait but if you have and you know how you react to them then i'd say do what you feel is best. good luck with your decision!
    clwlockey

Answer by clwlockey at 3:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009