Did your water break or did contractions send you to the hospital?

I'm expecting my first in less than 3 weeks and when my doc tells me to wait until contractions are 3 mins apart before I go to the hospital I think he's crazy! When did you know you were in labor and when did you go to the hospital??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i went to the hospital when i realized my contractions were 6 minutes apart and consistent. now when my water broke i had my son in less than an hour so please don't wait until your water breaks if you can help it. most women who do break there water at home are fine but then there are the others who have theres in the car. just relax and keep track of your contractions
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My water broke at 1:30 in the morning and I went to the hospital at 3 when I could no longer walk or talk during the contractions. They were 3 minutes apart and lasting 30 to 45 seconds at a time. I waited until I knew I could no longer handle it at home. YOu will know when its time to go and when you can't do anything but breathe its time to go.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I knew I was in labor at 3am, and went to the hospital at 4pm when I lost my plug. They told me I was in labor and sent me back home because contractions were 10mins apart at that point, but I expected them to do that. I just wanted to be checked out.
    I went back to the hospital at 11pm when my contractions were 5 mins apart, but by the time I got there they were 3 mins apart.
    My water broke at 1am on its own when I hit 7cm dilated. My daughter was born at 3:46am.

So, 24 hours total labor. Not too bad. It only hurt for the last 4-5 hours. I would say to go in when they are 3-5 mins apart, or when you can't stand the contraction pain anymore.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My water never broke...they had to break it for me. When I got to the hospital I was 4-5 cm already.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My contractions woke me up at 6am. they were eight minutes apart ALL DAY. I called the hospital and they said to wait until they were 5 minutes apart before coming in. I got to the hospital around 9:30 pm. They broke my water and I had my sone at 3:21 am.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my water was broke by the doctor and when i knew it was time to go my contractions were about 3 min apart and by the time i got to the hospital i was almost 5cm dialated
    blue_eyes11

Answer by blue_eyes11 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my water broke at home when i was 5 days overdue. i wasn't having contractions that i could feel though. i went in to my midwife clinic to be checked and they found my baby was breech. had a c-section that day. i was very sad it happened that way, but it was the safest way for my girl to be born, so it turned out well.
    MommyJal

Answer by MommyJal at 12:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• With my first I was up at midnight with my first contraction. I thought it was just the need to poo... I did, and five minutes later, it happened again. I did this for a bout 30 minutes, then I was out of poo. But I still felt the horribly cramping I associated with need to poo. They stayed 5 mins apart. I didn't realize it, and about 7 I woke my ex and told him to get his mom cause I had been up all night in pain and didn't want to be alone when he was working. She walked in and took one look at me and told me it was time to go!! My other two, my water broke.
    Anonymous

• 3 minutes sounds about right to me especially if you want to avoid interventions. That where I was with both and I had intervention free births where all the doc/midwife did was catch the baby and stitch up my small tear both times. I was at the hosital about 2-3 hours before having each kid.
    Anonymous

• I went when my contractions were on top of each other. I got there at 8cm and had a drug free delivery less than an hour later. My midwife told me 4-5 minutes is when we should leave.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009