How was birth with an epidural? Do you recommend it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a great experience!! It actually minimized the amount of pain I felt down there while pushing!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My epidural wore off 45 minutes after I got it. Only my left leg was numb and I could feel everything. The pain is something you will never forget but something you will get over. Even with an epidural your going to feel the contractions some and when its time to push you will feel the pressure of the baby coming down into the canal. If your not good with pain have one and if your good at dealing with pain they have a local they can give you to take the edge off. They made me wait 5 hours before I had mine and then it took almost an hour to get it and she was born 8 hours after I went into true labor. So it was pointless for me.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Great experience and absolutely
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• HELL YES!! I think if I wouldn't have had it I wouldn't have made it. Even my husband said he was sooo worried about how I was going to handle the whole birthing process, but he was amazed at how calm I was (no curse words from this potty mouth!!)
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• YES YES YES if you can't handle natural pain then get one. Child birth is natural so if you don't think you can handle it then get one. It's really all up to you. I will tell you it's not to bad. Yes it's painful but it's so worth it.:) :) :)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• oh i definitely recommend it. I tried it naturally with my son and I just could not handle it even with lamaze classes and meditating. Nothing worked for me. I asked to try the drug called Staydol and that was a mistake. My son was born with breathing problems due to the medication. So I finally gave in and got the epidural. and boy was i glad i got it. i got to sleep for a few hours before having to push. I had no problem pushing and I could still feel a little bit but not like it was before. and when they broke my water with my daughter i told them to give the epidural before my contractions started. it was great never felt a thing. it felt like she slid right out. and she had no problems she was a very healthy baby girl.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i recomend it i was in so much pain puking up stomach acid when they gave it to me and it doesnt hurt when they put it in and immediat relief and no pain at all it helps your body relax so you can have the baby easier....it was wonderful
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It was amazing, and I highly recommend it!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• With my son I screamed when his head crowned, but he was almost a 9lb baby lol. With my daughter, she was a breeze, when her head crowned, the doc asked if I could stop pushing so my body could stretch more and minimize tearing, no problem for me.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I didn't have an epidural. I just relaxed and trusted my body to do the work I knew it could do. I had a great support team. My husband kept looking at me and reminding me to breathe and relax. I was totally fine, but I was also very prepared for the process of labor without any meds. I was slow dilating and the labor was really intense, so I almost asked for some intravenious help, but it turned out fine. I don't think I'll do an epidural with the next one either.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009