How long did you push for??

And does pushing hurt a lot even with an epidural?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I pushed for an hour with my first and 10 min with my second. It did not really hurt with the epidural. You just feel a lot of pressure unless the epidural has worn off.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yes unless you over do the amount of medication on your pump line. Then it makes it longer. It took me 8 pushes total and 30 minutes from start to finish to have my daughter. It only took that long because they made me stop when she hit a station 4 so they could get the doctor and that was after 1 push and then he made me stop as well so he could wash her hair while she was still inside me. If I didn't have to hold it I would have had her out in about 10 minutes. But from push 1 until the doctor have the placenta out it was 30 minutes. It can be hours though.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think it was probably about 1/2 an hour. For me it did not hurt a lot with the epidural. It was hard, but it didn't hurt a lot.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• it took me 2 hours to push out my daughter and no pain just pressure with the epidural
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No pain with the epidural, about an hour each.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• it took me 4 hours with my son. he was 8lbs and 9 oz and he ended up being stuck on my pelvic bone called something like shoulder dystocia or something. it was horrible but i had an epidural and helped a lot. my daughter i pushed for 20 minutes. much better.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I pushed for around 45mins, no pain meds no nothing. Its not THAT bad, and I am really glad I did it natural.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:56 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i only pushed 5 minutes with my daughter and she was my first child and only one for right now but my labor went very fast i was only in labor for about 8 hrs i dialated from 7cm to 10cm in literally 2minuts and the doc came in right as my daughters head was exeting the birth canal as far as the epidual i didnt have one so i would be no help there the contractions were the worst part for me the pushing was nothing to me it was just a walk in the park so good luck and i guess it all depends on your pain tollerance as well
    blue_eyes11

Answer by blue_eyes11 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I only pushed for 30 mins and 5 pushes. Didn't have an epidural and it only hurt because my sons hand was up by his face tearing me all the way down. So assuming everything goes well and you have an epidural, you should be totally fine!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Ne epidural here and I pusehd with my first for 25 minutes and with my second she came out upsdie down (facing up) and I pusehd for about 45 minutes. Pushing hurt, but the contractions were worse, but water was a great aid in pain for that part. Don't let them force you to labor in bed that is the WORST place. Laying on yoru back pushing AGAINST gravity is just not good. I squatted on the bed with both mine and they were quick and fairly painless to push out. I had a little tearing with both and the second was slihgtly worse.
    Anonymous