How do I get my 13 month old to sleep in her own bed??

My daughter has been sleeping in our bed for most of her life. We got a crib for her when she was 4 months old, and after a couple of weeks everything was fine. Then, when she was 7 months we had to relocate and she slept with me for 2 months. Now that we are settled in our new apartment 4 months later she is still in the bed with us. I'm ready for her to sleep in her crib, but how do I do this with the least amount of stress??

lvaughn26

Asked by lvaughn26 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think you can do it with out any stress.My son cried for a week for a while before he got used to it.And I didn't get much sleep either.But after a week, he was used to it and slept good after that.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yeah, the transition is pretty stressful when they're that age. BUT, if you can make it through her crying for a few days, she should adjust fine. I recommend having a night light and doing something soothing like a bath or storybook beforehand. If she really freaks out, you might try to rub her back and sit with her while she falls asleep. When my daughter was having sleeping problems and I couldn't take the screaming, I stepped outside to re-group myself before I tackled the situation again. It can be kinda crazy.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 12:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You're going to need a lot of persistence to make it happen. You might try ready the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I've heard there's a toddler version although the one i have is more for the first year it should still be helpful. It might give you some good ideas. When we had trouble getting our son to sleep, I bought a small booklight and would sit in his room (just be there, not interact with him), until he fell asleep. Each night I'd try to just put him down alone and leave. I'd give him a few minutes of protesting to see if he might settle. If he didn't, I'd go in an read. Eventually he just went to sleep or at least played happily until he was ready.
    Anonymous

• dont give up bottom line. try doing naps there. each time he cries, stay gone just a little longer. it will be hard, it will take time, but it will happen, better to start now than to have a three year old inyour bed. i've heard making something special about the room to make them want to be in there helps. my son sleeps with his blanket for both nap and nighttime. baby steps. you've missed the bassinet chance so this is really all you can do. rocking just before bed helps too.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I read my daughter a book almost every night and then we go into her room after some cuddle time and I would tuck her in and give her kisses and she would hug her froggy at that age.. she slept with me until almost a year old when the hubby came back from Iraq.. and honestly it should only take about a week or two it could take longer.. but you will have some crying from your baby.. when you leave the room..
    roseakasis

Answer by roseakasis at 3:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009