Moral obligations?

Do you think at this time during the economic upheaval that it is a moral obligation to your family that you stock up and have a garden?
I was explaining to my husband about this, he actually agreed with me. I was a little suprised. Anyway what are your thoughts about the new "Victory gardening" attitude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't feel obligated to do anything. I would love a garden, but not out of moral obligation, but because it would be fun
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i think a bunch of people will spend $400 on dirt, plants, fertilizer and water and end up with too much work for themselves, vegetables they don't really want to eat, and children that won't help with the gardening chores. Most people do not have enough land to support themselves or the knowledge to support themselves with a garden. The intentions are noble.
    Anonymous

• I'm LDS (mormon) and our church has been telling us to stock-up and garden and save for a rainy day for decades. It's just always a good idea, I think to be prepared for the day when you can't get to the store because you're snowed in, or you can't afford it due to job layoffs, or whatever. My husband and I live in an apartment right now, but we're going to try and grow lettuce and other herbs in pots. We have some food stored up too. I just think it's smart.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Moral obligations, no. Common sense, yes. If you have the space, the time, and want to put forth the effort, then you will see it pay off.

We will have a garden again this year as we have had years past.
    Anonymous

• No, I'm not gardening.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My father has been gardening for years. I think it's a great hobby and a way to save on groceries. He grows everything from Eggplants to Hot Peppers. He's just good at it. He has his own cantelopes,watermelon, pumpkins, tomoatoes, eggplants, peppers, cucumbers...you name it he's probably got it. It actually got to the point where he had SOOO many veggies that he eneded up giving them away because he didn't want them to spoil. I think it's a great idea.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I garden because I LIKE to and I'm a farm girl. =) It's who I was raised. It's always smart to have a back up.. or just fresh veggies.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I grown some veggies every year. Though not enough to sustain us. My kids love to plant and water the garden. I love the natural privacy screen our plants provide all summer. We plant a lot of sunflowers, Gourds, and morning glories just for that purpose. For Veggies, we plant two or three in big containers. This year we may try zucchini and squash in an empty flower bed. And I started some corn.

I want lots more plants, but can't maintain a big garden myself. Plus, as someone else pointed out, by the time I buy everything I need, I've spent more money than I would just going to the farmers market. Our local farmers are great, so I don't feel bad at all about buying produce from them. In fact, I feel better that I'm helping my local farmers stay in business.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I didn't say anything about sustaining us. I just feel a moral obligation to do everything in my power to take strain away from us financially and away from the economy financially. Am I the only one that thinks like this??!!
    I knew I was pretty high strung, for lack of a better term, but man!
    Anonymous

• I don't have the space to plant a big garden, but I am doing some container gardening.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 12:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009