Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you break your apartment lease?

If your neighborhood suddenly became unsafe and you only had a couple of months left?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • If the apt. complex has a corporate office you can try calling or writing them and ask to be relieved of your lease due to the area is now very unsafe for your family. We did this with a place we once stayed and they allowed us out of our lease and gave us our deposit back. Also police reports on any crime for that complex should be available for the public if you need a copy for proof. I know in some states it is.

    RMSA3.png picture by RMSAAdmin


    Answer by RMASAdmin at 12:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • You can if you want but you will be responsible for what is left on the lease.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • Shyeah!!! when we moved into our apartments, it seemed like a decent place, but the longer we live here, the worse it's becoming. Our lease isn't up until October, but as soon as we have the money for a new house, we're outta here and not even worrying about the lease. Besides, in our lease agreement, it says there is a "fee" but the fee isn't listed anywhere, so as far as I'm concerned the fee is $0. Plus maintenance won't fix anything. He always comes over and says "well I need to get a tool" or something similar and then never comes back, and our landlord is just as bad. We're soooo outta here....

    Answer by srhmldndo at 12:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • You can get sued for breaking a lease and failing to pay what you owe. Not worth it if you only have 2 months left.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • If they aren't fixing things you can get out of your lease. But if it is a concern with the neighbors then you need to do everything you can to talk to them or your landlord about it. Note every instance you speak to anyone and what was said. If they are unsafe to you or are harming others and you don't feel safe you need to address it and have it recorded so that if you are planning on leaving and not fullfilling your lease agreement you have reasonable proof to prove anything was wrong. And, from experience, you need to seek the advice of an attorney too just to be aware of your rights, etc..

    Answer by MommaM2 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • What is the reason for your living arrangments becoming unsafe?

    Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 12:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • I would definitely speak with the management. Tell them what is going on. Read your lease completely. Depending on the state you live in, there are provisions for unsafe dwelling. Usually the fee for breaking the lease is a certain percentage of of rent due with 30 days notice. Now if you just get up and move, then yeah they will sue you for the full amount and then some. So just talk with your management.

    Answer by jenlenr at 12:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • What is the reason for your living arrangments becoming unsafe?

    OP here. We live in a large city, when we moved in 2 years ago the area wasn't that bad but it has gotten much worse the past few months. Now they are about to lay off over a hundred police officers. Just in the past week I have heard 4 gunshots and there has been graffiti drawn on the wall of one building in the complex. We want out before it gets any worse, and found another apartment. We are trying to work something out with the manager, but I don't want to wait too long.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • Look at the lease closely. There is usually a clause saying that you can give a certain notice and "break" the lease too. Ours says 60 days notice from either party (landlord or tenant), but I have seen some that say 30 days notice in writing. if you don't work something out or follow the lease to a T then they can sue for the entire amount you owe plus the legal fees. IF the things that need fixing are neccessities then you can go after them legally for that too though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009