My 3 year old daughter has severe water diarriah and now my 5 month old is starting to have it what do i do cuz i know the dr. wont do anything if it is a virus?

natcar

Asked by natcar at 12:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Lots of fluids!!! Pedialyte or equivalent!!! The more diarreah they have the more fluids they loose! Saltine crackers, some ginger ale, tlc, and stories until it solidifies again.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• All I've got to tell you is probably the same thing thing a dr would tell you. Stop all dairy, give them pedialyte (you can buy store brand at walmart and target, and some grocery stores may carry a generic brand, I always got it at walmart) and then of course the BRAT diet- bread, rice, applesauce, toast.
    I'd stay away from juice. You may be able to find an antidiahrrea medicine for the 3 year old at a drug store.
    Make sure they are still going pee, if they stop peeing increase fluids. If they still don't pee, they may be getting dehydrated, and you should contact your dr immediately.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Watch your 5 month old really well and if he starts feeling lathargic or seems dehydrated that would be very bad news. I would call and ask if they want to make an appt. anyhow because he's so young and small. It doesn't take much for a baby to get in trouble. GL
    Anonymous

• Give only water and milk to drink for diarrhea (with vomiting, the treatment is different, and this is only if milk doesn't usually cause diarrhea in your kids)

For the baby...continue feeding as normal. If he's on baby food, stop that until this is over and give only breastmilk or formula. If he's eating some finger foods, and they are starchy, give those to help bulk him up, but nothing new.

For the 3 year old..starchy foods and carbs. Bananas, pasta, potatoes, breads, rice, crackers, etc.

NO sugary drinks, including pedialyte, gatorade and juice. Sugar makes diarrhea WORSE.

Monitor for dehydration...peeing, tears when they cry, eyes are moist, inside of the mouth is moist, etc. If at ANY time you feel EITHER of them are dehydrating, call the doctor and take them in.

I can only offer what our pediatrician told us and what worked well for us.
    Anonymous

• Watch them for dehydration, give lots of fluids--stay away from dairy. If they aren't better after a couple of days or refuses to drink, CALL THE DOCTOR!!!! It could be Rotovirus and the doc can give you something for that. My son had it and was given an antibiotic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Pedialyte and the popsicles too.
    BRAT diet is
    Bananas
    Rice
    Apple Sauce
    Toast

Keep pinxalve or Desitin on you LO's tooshie to prevent diaper rash. Avoid dairy, and fried foods.
    Watch for dehydration, dry diapers for hours at a time, dark circles beneath the eyes and dry cracked lips. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My 5 month old had diarrhea for a whole week and would have like 17 BM in a day... I finally took him to the hospital and asked them what was going on and they checked for rotavirus and dehydration... Both were negative and they told me to keep him hydrated with pedalite. He got better a few days after that.. If it doesnt get better with in a week i would take him or her to be seen
    Anonymous

• GO to your health food store and get them started on bio-k and then after that give them probiotics for several days. I'va had that for 4 days now,and I got desperate casue my stomache hurt so bad
    the lady i talked to said I will notice a difference within a day or two.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm not trying to scare you, but I think you should take them to the doc b/c there is that swine flu going around, and if not just for peace of mind too. Give them anything with electrolytes.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 7:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• you might have them tested for rotavirus. this can be dangerous if they have that virus! watch for dehydration.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:57 PM on May. 4, 2009