swelling

My ankles and feet are so swollen can I do anything to help prevent this from happening or help make it go down. I have been keeping my feet elevated and walking as little as possible. I am 32weeks pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Drink a LOT of water and try actually walking just for a little bit at a good pace. This will stimulate circulation. It's not good to lay around too much because you could get blood clots. Hope that helps.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You need to get checked for preaclampsia(not sure of spelling)!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Also try to cut as much salt out of your diet as possible. And drink as much water as you can. I haven't had too much trouble with swelling - but I had a dinner the other night that had soy sauce all over it and I swelled right up from the salt - if you can avoid it that will help. Also what I have read says that you should avoid sitting OR standing for too long. You should try to move around - don't avoid walking. Just don't be on your feet all day. And elevating your feet is good too. Good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Cut out salt, flush your body with water and keep your feet above your head a few times a day. As long as the swelling is down each morning when you wake up you should be fine. If you have swelling that won't go down when you sleep ask your doctor.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Standing for long periods at a time will cause swelling... I had toxcemia and preeclapsia when i was pregnant and I was so swolen.. You should def have it checked by your doctor at your next visit which should be once a week now. I also agree with the other answers , cut out the salt and drink plenty of fluids. Also you could be retaining water if you drink to much... Oh when you are swolen sit down and press on your ankle or the bottom of your leg for like 5 seconds kinda firmly and if it stay sunken in thats what the call pitting edema and you should call your doctor. I hope this helps and good luck !!!
    Anonymous

• My whole body swelled to the point my mother wan't sure it was me and I could feel the water slosh when I walked. Sit with you feet up above your head, recliners work nicly, rotate your ankles. Are you still thirsty even with drinking lots, try some gatarade, your electrolits might be out of wack. I did pee it out in a few months after birth, but I feel for ya, I hatted it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009