My son is almost 11 months old. I've been trying to get him to drink out of a sippy cup and he just hits it out of my hand and I have to give him a bottle instead. I've tried gerber and nuk brands and he wont take either. Does anyone have any advice or a brand that may work??

Trying to get my son to drink from a sippy cup.

nickelmom

Asked by nickelmom at 1:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's a baby and he's not ready?
    Anonymous

• What about the Newbie brands? Or a cup with a straw instead. Stop giving in and giving him the bottle if he wants it bad enough he will take it from the cup for starters. He will not let himself die of thirst. Its a battle of wills and he knows you will break before him. I would suggest a cup with a straw and stop giving him the bottle during the day and even at night unless its bed time and then stop that one his first bday. He doesn't need a bottle after that or even now. Our daughter is 7 months and was doing the same thing but she knows now either drink from the cup or you get nothing.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Stop giving him the bottle. When he's thirsty enough he'll take the sippy cup.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Aww you guys are mean! He's a baby! He'll grow up eventually! I say don't take his bottle away yet!

I took my daughter's bottle away when she was 1 because everyone told me too. Took away my son's at 2. That's just me though, I saw no problem with him and his bottle. It was kinda cute too!
    Anonymous

• Try the Nuby sippy cups. They are similar to the bottle. And I agree with the other posters, stop giving him the bottle. As long as you give it to him he will continue to fight you.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I tried all the same brands and the Nuby, but my daughter would do the same (she's just over nine months). I just bought a Just Born stage one sippy cup. She will drink a little at a time from it. I found that her problem was all the other brands forced her to have to suck to hard to get anything out. Try a brand that has a low suction, like the Just Born. They are expensive (about $10 per cup) but that's what's working for us.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Many babies who do not like most standard sippy cups do well with the "straw" sippy cups. Playtex makes them.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 2:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Try a cup with a straw.
    It's better for oral development than a sippy cup.
    My son loves cups with straws.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 2:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009