How can anyone afford to be a stay at home mom this day in age?

I want to stay at home with my kids but my new home business is not working out for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband makes good money. Otherwise, I would have to work.
    Anonymous

• I think you just need to go line by line through your budget, your income, and your expenses and see what you can cut and what you can't.

What is your home based business? If it's not working, it may be time to look into something else. If it's a direct selling (i.e. Tupperware, Mary Kay, etc.) it may be just the wrong product for the wrong time.
    Anonymous

• I do a direct selling business (Miche Purses) and we are BOOMING! I agree with Anonymous 1:18m though, go through your budget item by item, it's amazing what can be cut out (I also work as an accounting consultant). It's tough to be a SAHM but it can be done.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My husband has a good job and I work outside the home 16 hours a week. I also do 2 things online and bring in a decent income, double what I do from working outside the home. Having said this, I am home most the time with my kids. If you want to do something from home that you ALWAYS do and get paid for it, take a look into this free website..You get paid to read your mail!!

http://www.peoplestring.com/register/?r=cindyk1982
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 1:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• By being a WAHM. Before that I was a SAHM and you do have to cut expenses. You would be amazed at the things that you do not need. If you want to know more about WAH check out my website www.freedomathometeam.com/sclark
    SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 1:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Been married for 7 yrs and my hubby wanted to go back to school. Which was fine with me. While he was in school he did not work because I wanted him to get the best possible grades so that he'd be able to get a job above the rest once he graduated. Now here's the thing..I worked in a deli..minimum wage for three years. I paid the rent/bills/etc with what I made and we were still able to go out once and awhile and have fun. We owned our car ouright and had a pretty good apartment and we have no credit card debt or loans. We did it. Now he just graduated and is looking for a job/career. I lost my job and turned around and found a few house to clean to pay the bills. OH YEAH and I found out I was pregnant a month before he graduated and a week after I lost my job. I get so sick of people saying it can't be done. Stop buying unnessesary crap like excess clothes, to-go coffee...anything that's a waste of money. Recycle Period.
    Anonymous

• I'm not a full-time work at home mom, but I do work at home for extra income. Most 'at home' jobs wont give you full time income at first. You can read my blog with information about how I do it at: Earn Money Online

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I work at home as well....working with my fiance on our carpet cleaning business at we are Marketing Consultants with Ambit Energy (www.WNY.AmbitEnergy.biz)

If you need some simple afforable tips on how to get your direct selling company or home business more profitable PM me....I have tons or tried and true ideas that have helped us and others! And this will be general info you can use towards any business!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have been a SAHM since my son was born 9 years ago. My dh makes a good income, which helps. But what really made it possible for us was making a budget and sticking to it. We do it with Quicken software, and believe me, every penny that comes in and goes out is tracked. We have categories for just about every expenditure that comes up. Doing that really turned our finances around. If you're not paying attention, it's really easy to blow through a lot of money on stuff you don't need.

Also, I think a lot of people think they can't stay home because they don't want to give up their luxeries (not saying this is you....I don't know!). But I do know some of my dh's co-workers who refuse to stay home with their kids because then they couldn't have the big house or the fancy vacations. We don't do big vacations, just camping and road trips. But it's so worth it to me to be able to raise my kids.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 2:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My husband has a very high income which allows me to be home. We don't budget but we also do not spend mindlessly. If we could not travel, afford our home and my spa weekends 4 times a year I would get a job.
    Anonymous