do u have to take away the baby's bottle when he turns 1?

what happens if i don't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't have to. Nothing will happen. It's just a decision for you to make. Most people will argue that it will cause your child's teeth to be crooked, but, that isn't a given. And most will say it will be harder to take away if you wait, Which isn't always the case. Others will say that the child needs to grow up and learn to use the cup. But, if you don't want to push it, don't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You do not have to take the bottle away. Nothing will happen.
    Anonymous

• I didn't take my son's bottles away til he was 16 months old cause it was my only cuddle time I got with him but by then he was really attached to them and it made the weaning off of them much harder.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You don't have to, but it might be a good idea. I took the bottle from my boys when they were about one because I was concerned for their teeth and thankfully, they didn't have any problems using a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

• There isn't anything definite about taking it away at 1 (we got rid of them around 16 months). However, one of the potential problems is if he goes to sleep either with the bottle or right after taking the bottle and it contains milk. Since you aren't going to brush his teeth in between, it can cause problems with the teeth due to the sugar. (Note that I can said "can".) We found that our son simply got less and less interested in the bottle once he got the hang of sippy cups.
    Anonymous

• you dont have to but i'd recommend it. it will likely only get harder as time goes on. i took it away right at 12 months, and the paci soon after. both were easy at that time. all dr's and moms and kids are different. what does dr advise? how do you feel? is baby dependent on that nighttime feeding? something to think about is the teeth. its not good to drink milk and leave the residue on teeth overnight. as far as weaning it took us three nights. now i did take it away for good, but it took those three nights to convince my son that bottles didnt exist anymore. i simply said all gone, same with the paci, when he'd look for it i'd just say all gone. in my case, that worked best. he understood what i meant and didnt get upset by it. he had gotten used to daddy feeding him just to get him down faster, but when mommy started taking over those wakings, the bottle was forgotten.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No, you don't have to.

However, it may be more difficult later, it can have an affect on the teeth, it can have an affect on their oral motor development and by the time they are one there usually isn't a reason for a toddler to have one (they are able to learn to drink from a sippy or straw cup)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You may wish to wait until he's on all milk and if he's not used to using a sippy cup yet, you may want to make the switch one feeding at a time. If he has a pre bed bottle just replace it when you get to it with a prebed sippy and extra snuggle time(which is more what he's looking for than the milk anyway).
    This is what I did with my twins (our pedi gi doc told me to do it this way): every other day I replaced one ounce of formula for one ounce of milk in one bottle. Once I got to half milk, half formula, I made all their bottles that way and continued replacing the formula one ounce at a time, every other day.
    Once they were on all milk, I just ditched the bottles and gave them sippy cups. I think this worked well for us because: they'd been drinking water from sippy cups for a few months and they hadn't had a bottle right before bed since they were about 8 mos old.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• We did. When we were done with formula we switched to sippy cups, so there was never any juice or milk given in a bottle. I know that the doctors recommend it because of their teeth. We did it mainly because when you think about it, the bottle is a nipple like mommy's, which is made for babies to be able to drink. When they're old enough to use a cup, it starts to look a little silly to see them sucking a bottle. But you don't "have" to do anything - that's the joy of being a parent - you call the shots with your kids! :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 2:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I took away my daughters at 13-14 months and I just slowly weaned her and started by giving her a sippy cup at one of her feedings times and gradually increased it and she eventually just lost interest..
    Nothing bad happened.. her teeth are fine.:)
    roseakasis

Answer by roseakasis at 3:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009