Parent together or seperate?

It seems like if my husband or I are dealing with the kids then the other one sneaks away and does something for themselves. I admit that this is coming up because it's about 90% me with the kids and him downstairs on the computer or playing video games. My 10% of time without the kids is spent online but mostly doing dishes, laundry, etc....
My question is, IF you both work the same schedule, how do you parent? How do split up house work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• We don't work the same schedule anymore, but my husband and I used to. It's hard to motivate them. I know what you're going through because mine has been playing World Of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, etc. ALOT. Thankfully, since our schedules have changed, he's had to take on more responsibility. But I still can't seem to get him to do any housework. He mostly watches my daughter until he has to go work and lets her trash the house the whole time. However, if I get on his case about something and leave him notes, he'll do it. I like to pose the question, "This and this need done. Which do you want to do?" That way he has to choose to do SOME chore.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 1:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Parenting is a team and its hard work when you both are warn out, plus you need to take the time for eachother.... the parents are apart of the foundation for the home. If you don't have a strong relationship its hard for the childnren. They need to see that you both work together as a team, then they will feel more secure. So, the answer, spend time together first, then with the kids and then with the household chores etc. Relationships come first.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Who do we parent..that is pretty simple to me. We have rules in the house that our children must go by. My fiance and I have a "premaid" family and we work as a team and we do not undermine
    eachother. If he says something, I stand by him..I don't do the oh come to mamma crap..
    Chores that is getting easier to. I will ask him when he gets home "which one do you want to do..the dishes or fold the clothes...It works, he sees that we have to work together. Outside we help eachother, he blows leaves, I pick them up...
    It is all about
    working together...
    Family is a team..
    and it will only work if all the players
    do their share.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Awesome dannee, we do the same thing. We have a 5yr old and a 3month old. If I put the 5yr in the bath, he takes him out . If i load the dishwasher or wash dishes, he puts the dishes away. If he sees laundry folded he puts it away. Our children and household chores come first. If we both work together things get done faster and it gives us more time to ourselves. Sounds like you need to take the video games away Op.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• This problem here is that your husband is acting like a child. He wants to spend all of his time playing video games and not helping out with his family.

We parent together and we are a team, a united front, so to speak.

Our household chores are split up like this: I SAH, so I do almost everything I can through the day. But he helps with everything he can when he comes home. If they dishes need to be done and the kids need a bath, he takes one, and I take the other...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• stay off the video games and computer. That should help A LOT
    Anonymous