How can I get my parents and my fiance to get along?

My daughter and I live with my parents for the time being. My fiance is not the biological father to my daughter. Her father has not at all ever been involved with my daughter. My parents are angry because we are moving out and keep saying they do not live my fiance. My parents are very difficult people and I am at my wits end on what to do. I need help!

Kate1113

Asked by Kate1113 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• The decisions is solely yours. Is HE the one you want to spend your life with? Does HE make you happy and so forth? Does HE treat your daughter as his own?? I think you need to make the decision yourself. I was in this type of situation and sadly, I left the man I thought was my soul mate all because my mother had NOTHING ever to say good about him. Having said this, do what you want to do. Your mom is not and can not live your life for you. Please PM if you want someone to talk to. Like I said, I went through this exact same relationship with my mom and ex fiance. Id love to help you out!
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 1:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I dont think any of us can really answer this unless we know WHY your parents claim not to like him?
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My mom doesn't like him because she thinks he is controlling. He is a very clean person, so in her mind, him telling my daughter to clean up after herself is controling. Also because he showed me a different, space saving way to fold clothes, that apparently means I've become a military wife. She also says he is trying to make it military strict because he wants my daughter to sleep in her own room, pick up after herself, eat better.... My mom is a very angry person. I just dont know what to do or say any more.
    Kate1113

Answer by Kate1113 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You have a daughter.so put yourself in your parents place.what if you thought your daughter was making a bad choice?Wouldn't you want to tell her that you thought she was making a mistake?I'm not saying that you are making a mistake, but maybe they see something about your fiance that worries them.I'd heed their advice and then try to make a good decision.I think kids should be able to be kids.Your daughter will have lots of time to be a grownup.Make the decision that is best for your daugher.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• How long have you been together?
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• sometimes we should listen to why parents dislike the fiance. They may see something you don't see. Perhaps you are just using him as a knight in shining armor to get out of their house. Marrying for the wrong reason can almost guarantee an unhappy and short lived marriage. Maybe they see that and want more for you. Just a thought.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Make a decision and be willing to live with your decision. It's not about them. It's about you.
    CocoaB

Answer by CocoaB at 7:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• We've been together for 2 years. They've had no problem with him until recently when we're getting ready to move out
    Kate1113

Answer by Kate1113 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2009