My daughter won't hold her own bottle

Hayden is just over nine months and I can't get her to hold her bottle when she drinks. I know it's my own fault for doing it for her for so long. She is long overdue to learn this on her own. However, when I try to get her to do it, she just throws her bottle on the floor. I've tried not giving her anything to drink unless she does it herself, but I'm worried that she will dehydrate. Any suggestions?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just hold it for her till she is done with bottles. She will only be little for a small amount of time. So, just hold it.
    Anonymous

• give her time she will get it have you tried giving it to her ina sippy cup??? sometimes babies associate the whole bottle thing with their mom and a change might help them..thats what my cousin had to do
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I really dont know what to suggest other then give her time. Babies learn at their own pace but be sure that you start giving her more indepency or else she wont learn anything
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 1:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i would consider using a sippy cup or just keep trying. i think it wil be ok just keep trying.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I should also mention she will hold her own bottle if she's laying down. It's only if she's sitting up that she won't do it. Thanks!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Feedings are a time for snuggling and bonding. Hold the bottle, cradle baby in your arms, and enjoy those precious snuggly moments that are gone all too fast!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 2:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My babies never held their own bottles, mostly because I never encouraged them too. I loved that time of closeness, snuggling, and bonding. They grow up so fast - enjoy it...really! I always feel bad for babies I see sitting there feeding themselves their bottles, but that's just me. :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 2:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would just hold it for now. It must be quite frsutrating worrying about things like that and milestones..but she will eventually hold it when she wants to.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I don't understand why this is a problem. She loves to be fed and hugged and snuggled.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Babies werent meant to hold bottles. Its not programmed into them. its certainly not a milestone.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009