Night time feedings

My 5 month old son wakes up several times a night (most nights). I always feed (nurse) him when he wakes up. He always falls back to sleep quickly while eating. How do I know if he is really hungry when he wakes up?

J.P

Asked by J.P at 1:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try just giving him a pacifire and if he goes to sleep hes not really hungry...
    Anonymous

• I think if he is falling asleep shortly after starting to feed him then he isn't that hungry. I would try a pacifier and rock him back to sleep. Or my son has a soothing rainforest mobile that he falls asleeep to also.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have a one month old that does the same thing sometimes....sometime Hunter , my son, falls asleep nursing even if it had only been a min eating, so I would lay him back down...but now I think sometimes they get so comfee being so close while nursing they fall back asleep with out being full...so try to wake him back up if he falls asleep and try to nurse again...he might not be getting enough at one feeding or he may not be hungry and something else is waking him up...soft to loud cring, smaking lips, moving head side to side, movin hands up to face, would tell you usually if he really is hungry or not.....my son seems like he sleeps better in the day time...your son might just be a night owl....hope I could help
    MommyLance

Answer by MommyLance at 2:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It doesnt matter whether hes hungry or not..breastfeeding isnt just about nutrition its about comfort too...so I would just continue to do it. Your son needs the comfort to get back off to sleep...so dont worry about whether he is hungry or not, just know you are giving him what he needs :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with keyaziz...and mine does the same thing sometimes, the only problem I have is that I let down and leak all over the place from that minute of nursing.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009