How to eat healthier with THIS FAMILY!

Me, DH, DD (2.5) Live with my mom. Mom & DH prefer white bread & NON-wholegrain foods. DH is a meat eater-barely any veggies, Mom doesnt like chicken. My DD is picky-doesnt eat meat, limited veggies...
I just love food! (lol) and am wanting to become more vegetarian. No boxed food, no red meats... How can I do this without having to cook 5 diffrent things for dinner!?
Also how do i fix FILLING meals? I dont stay full very long just eating veggies. I can eat a nice salad & am hungry in 1hr.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Baby steps. Mix white and brown rice (you will need to cook them separately); mix whole wheat and white pasta; make something totally different like a quinoa and black bean salad (I'll be happy to forward the recipe).
    You all need to work up to 7 servings of whole grains a day and 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables (in at least three colors) a day. Make baked sweet potato or acorn squash "fries", or a sweet potato pudding. Make a big pot of chili with beans and lots of diced veggies; if you cook it long enough, no one will be able to identify or taste the veggies. Make a mexican lasagne full of veggies, beans and corn tortillas. Let me know if I can forward recipes to you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I make big salads, with grilled chicken in them and all the veggies. Our boys go crazy over it. You can cut down on red meat by only using a smaller amount of it, or try ground turkey for spaghetti, or anything that calls for ground beef... You can buy whole grain pasta and they wouldn't know the difference. Our boys prefer wheat bread and that's all I buy. Try to include a steamed veggie with your meals, or a salad. Anything with dark green leafy veggies in it. Oh and our oldest loves anything with rice, try making a veggie stir fry... I'm not sure, our kids eat anything I give them so I haven't really put much thought into it.. Our policy is, if I make it you better eat it or your gonna starve!! lol
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 3:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009