What is a good way to take a binkie away from my daughter?

Emmy is turning two in August. I have been trying to take her binkie away from her but she is very attached and will not do anything with out it. I got her to throw most of them in the trash. Then night night time came and she cryed for hours. "Bink bink, bink,and so on...Since I have a newborn also ,I gave in and gave her binkie to her.Then like she always does , went right to sleep.

MommyLance

Asked by MommyLance at 2:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's old enough to understand, you might try to tell her that binkies are only for babies. That she's a big girl. You might even try to get her to participate in putting them in a bag so you can 'give them to other babies who need them.' Then you can just throw them away when she isn't watching. If she asks for one at night, explain to her that they're gone because the other babies are using them now. The crappy thing about this is that she probably will cry and be difficult no matter what you do. Even if it's really hard for the first few nights, it will get easier. You just have to stand your ground.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 2:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with the above answer. Explain to her that they're for babies and she's a big girl now. Take them away and never go back. It'll be hard at first but she'll forget about them soon!

In our house the rule is if you can walk you don't need a pacifier, so they stopped them by the time they were one year old and we never had any real issues with it.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 2:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would reduce her usage for times when she really needs it and not times when its just habit. If she cries when you wont let her have it in times of habit I would let her cry it out. Sit with her, validate her feelings by saying "I know you are upset that you cant have your binkie" and just wait until shes over her upset and can move on. When my son gets upset his upset usually ends with giving me a hug..but if she doesnt want one she doesnt want one follow her cue.

I think once its reduced to only being used for teething or night then you can start dealing with these issues.

For the nighttime I would do what I said above. Let her cry it out, be patient - validate her feelings by letting her know you know shes upset (but only state facts not anything extra to belittle them - just state i know you are upset you cant have your binkie). Once she has calmed down she may want a hug and she should settle.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You just have to be patient when she gets upset over it and be there for her. Shes entitled to be upset and she NEEDS to express it so she can over it. Once she has cried it out or whatever she needs to do she will move on and be over it. Just show her you care and love her and it should be ok.

This approach always works for me and my son when he gets upset over things. Most of the time he ends up just giving me a hug and getting over it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my aleyah just turned two and i took it away slowly first i told her to leave it in her bed, its for night night time and she couldnt do anything unless she put in her special place (her is on her table in her room, so she knows it still there) now at bed she doesn't remember it (outta sight outta mind kinda thing) but on the harder nights when she does remember i give to her because i see it as her security but one or two night out of the week is a big step up from all day every day so just take it slowly
    maryjoan2157

Answer by maryjoan2157 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• On a tv show once I saw a good idea. You can get a helium balloon or two and tie the binkies to it so they can "fly" to the little babies that need them. Tie them all on there. If you don't have them to give her, your less likely to give in and give her one when she cries for it. Maybe you can give her a big girl gift in exchange for her giving her binkies up. It can be anything she likes. Maybe something for bedtime like a new teddybear or something. I don't know. This is just a suggestion. My son never liked them, but that's what I was planning on doing if he did like them. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009