What is the strangest thing that happened to you during a job interview?

I had a job interview last week and I have to say it was the oddest one I've every had. The interview was with the HR person, head of that position, and the person who currently has that position (she is getting a promotion). It lasted 40 minutes l 25 of them were spent telling me about the company and the job, 10 were spent telling me about the position which this women is being promoted to and then asking her questions about her new duties, were she will sit, etc., and five minutes were spent asking me 5 questions, three of which didn't even pertain to this job or any other job I had before that. I tried to input things here and there to let them know I'm qualified, but I totally feel like i blew it. I was just wondering if anyone has had a strange interview before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was asked the dreaded: if you were an animal, what animal would you be. I was so stunned that someone actually asked that question, out came: Jackalope.

BTW the rule is that the candidate should speak at least 60% of the time; they really know nothing about how to conduct an interview (I spent several years in HR and now do career coaching).

Answer by rkoloms at 2:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I was once asked which ice cream I prefer chocolate or vanilla. No kidding. I did get the job and was told years later by the interviewer that he didn't think I could handle have a Black man as a boss. But, because I chose chocolate I got the job. TRUE STORY I swear. I was so nieve that I had no idea that there was a referance to that question. After all I just graduated high school at the time. And we did not live in a diverse neighborhood.
    Anonymous

• I am in HR I wasn't interviewed but someone I was interviewing randomly started asking me questions about where i was from and started saying things like "your people", "your kind" and things like that...I worked for a very diverse company at that time and I just knew he wouldn't fit the culture. He also asked what my parents did for a living...it was just weird!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Wow, those are some interesting questions.

rkoloms - I thought the candidate was suppose to do the majority of the talking. In my past interviews the employee has always had a list of questions they asked. They did tell al ittle about the company, but it was mainly questions. I really don't mind interviews, but feel I did poorly on this one. They interviewed five people and wonder, without a list of questions to ask each person, how can you tell who would be the best fit? Maybe there was something they were looking for that i just don't have. Still waiting to hear, but pretty sure it's a no go.

Anonymous

• Jackalope...that cracks me up!!  lol

I was asked once if I was a tree, what tree would I be. I said oak tree. Strong but flexible at the same time. I think they just want to see what you would say. I did get that job. I am glad I work for myself now.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  If you were meant to get that job, God opens doors no person can ever shut.  Good luck to you!

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 3:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Thanks AmyMK, there were over 70 applicates so I should be happy that I was one of the few picked for an interview. And I do have a current job, it's just not as secure as I would like it to be.
    Anonymous

• I had an interviewer tell me one time that my 11 years of experience didn't mean anything to him. And I told him bullshit, if it didn't you would not have called me in for the interview. He offered me the job the next afternoon and i told him no because he was a liar.
    Only did i know this, because while waiting for the appointment i overlooked the time cards and saw that employees were leaving at 6,630 pm and when i asked what the hours were he promised i would be out by 530 to get to daycare on time. nobody was leaving that office at 530 any day of the week.
    Anonymous

• I worked for an OBGYN for a while and the interviewer started talking about her own personal gyn info. I was so embarrased that I turned bright red and said "I don't have that problem. I mean not that I would care if I did. I mean I'd care but..." I rambled on for eternites lol It was weird. I got the job though.
    Anonymous

• A few months ago, a interviewer asked me, If he can arrange a lunch with anyone that I wanted, who would it be and why? I told him my mother, why: To ask her why she ended her life the way she did.

Most recent was I had a interviewer ask me to finish this question: "I would never work for a boss that................." I told her: that was unreasonable. "I would never work for a boss that was unreasonable".

They called me yesterday for a second interview, but didn't leave me a #. So, this morning, I am hoping that they'll call back.

BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009