Any suggestions for a weekly menu?

We have about 50 dollars every week for 2 adults and a toddler. We are trying to eat more healthy but it so much cheaper to buy frozen crap it seems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We stock up on frozen veggies (boxes or bags) whenever they are on sale...cheaper than always buying fresh and they don't go bad. Also, buying family packs of meat (chicken, pork, etc) is cheaper and then you can just freeze what you don't use immediately. We stopped buying anything that wasn't on sale and making a list off the circular and sticking to it while shopping has helped us save money on groceries. Hope it helps!
    robyn6146

Answer by robyn6146 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I feed 7 people, 3 dogs and 3 cats on $250 a month or less. I agree with robyn6146 about buying frozen veggies and family packs of meat.
    I made a list of meals that my family likes and I inventory my pantry/freezer/fridge before sitting down and making meal plans. Then I'll search store ads to see if anything that I need to finish out my meal plan is on sale. Sometimes I might scrap a meal and replace it with something that I can use sale items in.
    Spaghetti with tossed salad, roast chicken with steamed broccoli and baked potatoes, use the leftover roast chicken to make chicken stew and dumplings or chicken pot pie, try a beef or chicken stir fry, tacos made with shredded chicken, chicken breast & rice casserole served with steamed frozen veggies, make wet burritos.....I have recipes for these and so many more if you'd like!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It is cheaper to eat unhealthy food. I tried to eat only healthy things, it lasted for one week, couldn't afford it. I plan my weekly menu based on what meats are on sale that week. Meat seems to be the most expensive thing to buy. Family packs are good, they can be seperated, freeze what you don't need for that day.
    Anonymous

• Instead of meat, buy beans and lentils; buying dried instead of canned is even cheaper. Here is a typical week of dinner at our house: Sunday is pizza night, I make my own whole wheat crust, use a jarred sauce, top with cheese, shredded veggies, spices. Monday will be a stirfry: broccoli and tofu over whole wheat spagetti with a homemade peanut sauce. Tuesday I will be out all day, so dinner will be sweet potato and black bean burritos that I cooked a couple of weeks ago and froze. Wednesday will be lazy lasagne: small pasta shells mixed with sauce, ricotta and beans with a sprinkle of shredded mozarella. Thursday will probably be beans, rice, quesadillas and avocado salsa. Friday my daughter has a dance performance, so dinner will be something from the freezer, I think I have lentil sloppy joes. Satuday will be veggie burgers and sweet potato fries.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• And feel free to contact me for recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Become a crazy Coupon clipper! Seriously though, I have watched it on Oprah and other Shows and they save enormous amounts of Money! Check sale papers and clip coupons and buy some stuff in bulk ( or stock pile) for instance different seasons always have things on sale.. right now would be bbq sauce, dressings, etc. etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009