How to disapline a 2 1/2 year old girl?

I have a 2 1/2 year old girl who just hinks just runs the show! If she is naughty we use to just put her in the time out chair, but now she is mocking that. She will laugh and say that is is being naughty and needs to go sit in time out. I have tried taking her toys away, I have tried getting down to her level and telling her what she is doing is naughty. Nothing is working. My husband and I are so fusterated we don't know what to do anymore!!! PLEASE HELP!

morgansmama06

Asked by morgansmama06 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you give an example of something that has happened recently. Like what she did wrong and how you handled it and how she responded and what you did after her response etc?
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• She's testing you and DH. Be firm and consistent and she'll get the message. I'd reserve time out for serious offenses like hitting/biting/kicking otherwise it loses it's meaning/powerfulness. If you're staying with her for time out, don't. Make the time out spot in another room (not her bedroom though) but one that's still near so you can hear her if she gets off the spot/out of the room. Keep time out simple. Say to her "I'm putting you in time out for X" "No X" then sit her down, leave, put your timer on. If she gets up, just put her back until she's been there for two minutes. When t.o is over, repeat to her "no X" then give her a hug/kiss and move on.
    Remember, you're the parents. If she's telling you "no" or doesn't want to do something, stay calm and go ahead with it anyway. If she has a tantrum, ignore her. She'll stop once she sees she's not getting any reaction (not always easy to do I know but if I can do it...
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Con'td. ...with two, two and a half year olds, you can do it with one.

Also, catch her doing good. Specific, positive reinforcement when she is behaving/complying can go a long way (former middle school teacher here before the twins were born).

We all have our days and nobody is perfect so hang in there mama!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• just be consistent in whatever disipline you're using..don't switch back and forth..with the first offense disipline...obviously she knows what right and wrong.
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 4:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009