Propping up to feed?

Do you ever prop up your baby to eat? If you need to use bot of your hands for something? I just wonder if its ok as long as I am right there to watch her. I have a business to run and can't do it with a baby in my arms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, never.
    Propping a bottle can lead to choking.

When a baby is fed by a propped bottle the liquid pools in the back of her mouth, and the bacteria can then enter her ear and cause an infection.

This practice also can also lead to tooth decay, as liquid gathers in a baby's mouth when the bottle is propped.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/126247/the_dangers_of_bottlepropping_pg2.html?cat=25

Too bad you don't breastfeed... You could put the baby in a sling and go, with both hands free...
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 2:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i did it VERY OCCASIONALLY with my son, right in front of me. not every time, or even everyother time, sometimes not even once a day. only if i NEEDED to. if you dont NEED to, then i wouldnt suggest it, but if your doing it just to get something done really quick, i dont see it as a bad thing
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Let feeding time be your time with the baby... you can let baby play on his own so many other moments of the day... but feeding time is such good bonding time. If for no other reason than this, don't do it. How long do bottle sessions really last, anyway?
    Anonymous

• I would never prop. A baby I know just died and they are pretty sure that is what happened. He was at daycare and he aspirated his formula... his lung collapsed he went into cardiac arrest... he was in the PICU for a day before he died. It was awful!!! He was only 4 months old.
    I would never take that chance.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If you can't afford someone to watch your child while you work, try to find a friend or neighbor you can trade child care with.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• as long as you are within a foot from him.
    airmanswife08

Answer by airmanswife08 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I never did. I would prop her up on my knee and feed with one hand so I still at one free.
    Anonymous

• I don't prop bottles, but I don't think it's a problem, especially if you're near to keep an eye on the baby.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• NO NO NO...It doesn't take that long to feed a baby.
    mimitothree

Answer by mimitothree at 4:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009