does congestion come with teething

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it can.. I was surprized but the way the doctor explained it to me was that when baby teethes their gums swell and that can put pressure on the sinuses causing irritation thus causing congestion... I hope your baby feels better soon.. have you tried orajel or the teething ring?
    roseakasis

Answer by roseakasis at 3:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Sometimes. Keep damp washclothes in the freezer (they are great for chewing), and Hylands teething tabs (have you tasted that nasty orajel? blech!).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I've typically been told no. Teething causes baby to put stuff if his/her mouth whether it's toys or just hands. This exposes baby to more germs which can cause the runny nose. Fist poster response sounds reasonable too. I wouldn't think it's a direct cause, but it can contribute to it.
    Anonymous

• It never did for mine, but their teeth always were in before we knew they were teething.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Babies haven't developed sinuses yet, so their swelled gums cannot put pressure on their sinuses.
    Anonymous

• My daughter did
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 3:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009