Have you ever had a first hand experience with sexism?

I ask because a lot of women on this site are of religon and most religons are sexist towards women. Also, women who work or pregnant women have to deal with it alot.

General curiosity

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh yes, for sure. When I worked, my supervisor was leaving, the guys in the office got together to have a dinner in a restaurant for him. I was excluded because I was a woman. I argued about it, but I was told that I couldn't go because then the wives would want to go, and if I continued to make a fuss they'd just cancel the dinner. I didn't want to do that to my supervisor, so I backed down. but it hurt. And it still hurts.
    Anonymous

• Thats so rude. Men ar such morons sometimes.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• wow anon 1:08 that sucks! It's not like you were a wife that wanted to tag along, you were an employee! But I see your point of view on not wanting to start trouble. Men are dumb sometimes! Luckily all my jobs have been in offices where women are the majority so I haven't had to deal with anything like that.
    Anonymous

• Just regular old-fashioned in-the-blood sexism... insidious and pervasive. (The "isn't that cute" dismissal when a woman does something handy, socially accepted double standards, etc.) Nothing direct.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• PS when I was in a patriarchal religion, I didn't notice sexism because I was very into patriarchy and sought it out. It didn't feel sexist to me.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Are you an adult? You have to deal with this. There are a lot of men who have to deal with this too. It doesn't just flow one way. Handle it with dignity and grace. You'll be better for it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yes. I used to work for a lumber company doing lumber sales, outside sales, blueprint take-offs, etc. The customers who knew me personally treated me with respect because they knew that I knew my stuff. But in doing outside sales, approaching home builders on site was awful. They'd smirk, out right laugh at me, and sometimes just completely ignore me simply because I was a woman. It was one of the most frustrating situations I've ever had to deal with.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• you know i get treated the worst by women for being a woman because i choose to follow my husband and be feminine in dress...

You know how many women get upset with me wearing skirts all the time and for choosing to stay home taking care of my children??? Even my own mother is upset with me for wanting to care for my family rather than work.
    Anonymous

• Ummm... yes! I mainly feel it with my kids. My ILs are part of a culture where women are not valued as highly as men. When my son was born, we got big congrats on having a boy. When my daughter was born, my MIL's exact words when dh said we had a girl. "Oh. Well, that's okay." When my second daughter was born... I don't know, dh didn't bother calling for a few days! LOL!

I can also remember growing up with my many cousins, I was always put in charge of the younger ones. Why? Because I was the oldest girl. I had two older boy cousins, but they never had to do anything because they were the boys. The (male) cousin one up from me in birth order is one of my best friends and I still harass him about the fact that he got a free ride whereas I was saddled with six younger kids to watch all summer!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No only with fartism. Can you smell it? Men and their rumps.
    Anonymous