What is the harm of not taking Folic Acid while pregnant?

I took FA (800McG) before I conceived, about a month before, then I took it the first 2-3 months of being pregnant, but now I just completly forget about it. I guess you can call it pregnancy brain?! I'm just wondering what the harm can be to my baby? Any ideas? Should I start taking it now? (I am almost 23 weeks)

Cookie1124

Asked by Cookie1124 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i am not taking any vitamins and everything seems to be going fine ....my grandmother didnt take vitamins while she was pregnant and many women before her so really why do they stress us to take them???
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It can help prevent any developmental problems. like the spine one i cant remember what its called but its when they only have half a spine
    Anonymous

• The risk is spinal bifida, a serious birth defect.
    JoyeAustin

Answer by JoyeAustin at 3:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• not having enough folic acid causes spinal bifida and other neural tube defects. It is most important BEFORE you get pregnant and DURING the first few weeks. After that what is in your diet should be fine. It is not like a perfectly healthy 12 week fetus is going to get spinal bifida because mom stopped taking her vitamins.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Okay, thanks for the answers! Do you think I should try to remember to take them now? I just feel so bad, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember to take them!! I know that the doc did some tests and everything came back negative, but I'm not sure if he checked for Spina Bifida.
    Cookie1124

Answer by Cookie1124 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No folic acid = acephalic baby...look it up. You do not want that
    Anonymous

• Studies show it help prevent spinal bifida and neural tube defects. And as far as tiffanydgeen2009 statement:

i am not taking any vitamins and everything seems to be going fine ....my grandmother didnt take vitamins while she was pregnant and many women before her so really why do they stress us to take them???

Things are not like it was back then there were no chemicals in food people didnt have autism, we have more things going on and at risk for more diseases ect than our grandmothers, great grandmothers ect.
    Anonymous