How can I get my 18 month old to sleep somewhere other than her crib?

My DD has always been a really good sleeper. But it's only if she is in her own crib at home. She wont even fall asleep in our arms or on our lap Well we are going to take a trip to visit some family out of town. We know she is going to have a hard time sleeping, so we are trying to figure out other ways of getting her to sleep out of her crib. We are trying the pack and play, but as soon as she sees it she starts shaking her head and saying no. Than she starts crying. We are trying to let her cry her selfvto sleep in there, but it's so hard. Does anyone have any advice? PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in advance

fullerac

Asked by fullerac at 3:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i am not an expert but you have done a very good job of not spoiling your child to you it will be very annoying and kinda frustrating but you will need to let her cry herself to sleep in the floor or playpin! usually works for kids i babysit!
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• We had the same issue. My daughter will only sleep in her crib (now her bed). She would never sleep in her stroller, her carseat, out shopping, at the park, never fell asleep in my arms.

We lucked out when we took a vacation though. She actually slept in her portable bed. The only advice I can offer is hold your breath and hope. For now, you might consider turning the pack-n-play on it's side and let her play in it - sort of like a "fort" made from a big box. I'd put it so the feet are against a wall so it can't tip upright though. Maybe if she has some fun it in before your trip, she'll be happier sleeping it in while you are gone.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Ours never would fall asleep in our arms or stroller or anything, but she'd sleep in the pack n play no matter where it was... the key I think is to keep the routine EXACTLY the same. Before you go on your trip, make sure you keep the routine the same every day between now and then... GIve a bath at the same time, read from the same pile of books, sing the same songs, etc... When you're at your family's house, have the pack n play set up and do everything just as you've done it. Have her say goodnight to everybody before the whole bedtime routine starts so that that won't throw her off even more. At the end of the routine, put her in the pack n play as you always do in the crib. She'll go to sleep eventually. After one night there, no matter how long it takes to get her down that first night, she'll probably accept it after that for naps and bedtime. I wouldn't work on getting her to sleep in it now, at home. (cont)

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• At home her crib's still there to fall back on... Just wait till you get to your family's house... It will work!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my son is almost 18 months too and has never slept good anywhere but home. And my mom did daycare for him from the time he was 2 months old and ti was a daily struggle. We still have to schedule things around his nap/bedtime. I am waiting it out til he's old enough to understand what go to bed and lay down means.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009