How many times have you heard doctors say that germs can NOT live on surfaces for very long?

I have always been told this by doctors. On Fox news a few minutes ago, a Dr. Garner said that this swine flu virus can live on surfaces; that if he touches where Shepherd coughed a week ago, that he, the doc., could get sick. I am a bit surprised by this because the docs. usually say you cannot get "stuff" off of surfaces like toilet seats, (ewww!), etc. It appears there is a double standard here, eh? (Maybe it's just the germ, who knows?)

Then too, I have also heard of the strep virus being on paper money, how 'bout you all, what do you think of the contagion factor here?

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 3:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Health

• i was always under the impression that germs can live on any surface..that is why hospitals and doctor office are so chilly. it is usually in that climate that germs do not spread as EASILY. that is why they tell you to always keep your hands washed and be weary of who you touch. I am constantly sanitizing my door handles and everything else that everyone touches. when my children and I go into public i take hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes. because you just don't know how nasty some people really are.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Some germs don't live that long and some do. It depends on the bacteria or virus. That's why whenever my family starts to get sick with a serious cold or whatever, I start my cleaning. I clean anything and everything that is routinely touched.
    Anonymous

• Interesting. Its funny you should post this. I just established a new rule for myself of wiping things down daily with a little bleach.
    Anonymous

• LOL, I admit it, I am a bit of a germaphobic, I know hospitals keep it cold but unfortunately I have been to many doc. offices that were way too warm, (I couldn't help but think that they were trying to drum up business!)
    I sure wish that I had bought stock in Lysol and Wet Ones a long time ago!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have never heard a doctor say this. the flu virus can live on money for nine days. wash your hands. keep your hands away from your face. I make my own cleaner with vinegar, water, baking soda, tea tree oil (anti bacterial and anti fungal) and lavendar oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009