Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who would you confront if your child was bullied?

My son is on the short side (taking growth hormones and he has development delays) He looks about 8 y.o. so younger kids sometimes like to show off and are mean to him. Apparently today the one fat girl pushed him and the younger girl then kicked him. I am so pissed right now. I should not have to worry about my kids being hurt by another child while walking home from school. Who would you call parents, school, police?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (12)
  • i would call and talk to he parents then i would call and talk to the school to let them know whats going on then i would see what they can help you and your child

    Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • you cant call the school because it didnt happen on school grounds.i would call the parents.but tread lightly parents of bullies tend to bullies themselves.and usually say my child never did that.

    Answer by raineydays377 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • one time there was this girl who had a really bad habit of screaming out the window of her house while the kids waiting for thier bus, and so i got so sick of her doing it, i went to knock on her door and told her ma that i didnt like it and so who knows why her mother or the adult there never told her to quit but after i confronted the mother, she quit doing it...little brat she was!

    there's also this town bully that threw things at kids and just turned mean, the mother never did anything even after talking to her so we eventually called the police and after the police talked to him, he never came back.

    Answer by americansugar80 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • Yes, I confront. I guess I am intimidating when angry, the bullies and their parents refer to me as Ma'am after I am done with them.

    Answer by LoriW at 4:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • If I saw it happen I would drag the child home to her parents and let them know what happen, if they won't do anything I would file a police report.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • You could offer to do a presentation in the school on children w/special needs & bullying or ask the school to do something, or you could ask the school to address the behavior with the girls (they often will w/o issue), either in a group setting or individually. Most schools have strict anti-bullying policies b/c parents do have legal protection when bullying takes place.

    Also, you could contact the police and report the incident. The two girls would be charged with simple assault and may or may not have to "do time" or compensatory community service for their actions (first offense, most likely not, depends on the judge and how much the parents fight it).

    Finally, you could address the issue with the children's parents directly, but I have found that most kids that bully tend to come from homes that bully - the kids only do what they've been taught, kwim?

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • If the children attend school with your child, you can most definitely call the school. I know from experience on that one. My neighbor got suspended for hitting a kid before the bus showed up. Usually if bullying is happening outside of school, it is happening there too. And call the kids' parents. Hopefully they aren't asses about it.

    Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • Police. Well, school first, then police. My son, special needs, was attacked in school one day by another kid in his class. He was more emotionally disabled, my son isn't. Anyway, when I got there to pick him up, they said I had to go to the office, that something happened. I was in tears by the time I got there. Even more when I saw the police were already there. They said I could press charges against the parents. I asked if the parents were doing what they could to help him, they said yes. So I said I couldn't press charges. The boy had chased him on the playground, and hit him with a plastic bat. My son had also been hit and harassed at another school, in a different state. I had to talk with the teacher many times, again, these were emotionally disabled kids. Not so much that they didn't know what they were doing. And my son did get into a different program, for others like him. But, had he had to be at the second

    Answer by Buffie95 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • school that he had problems at, I would have called the cops, and had them meet me at the school. Since I had talked with his teachers about this, and it kept happening (bruises on his face), then I would have pressed charges. Against the kids parents and the damn teacher.
    I know kids will be kids. But that is NO excuse to allow a child to assult another child. Or to bully them. We have all heard how bad that can be.
    Talk with the school. Put them on notice that if it happens again, you will be filing charges.
    I hope it doesn't happen any more!!

    Answer by Buffie95 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • I've had this problem before...I called the school and spoke to the principal and requested a meeting with the other child's parents. Your child goes to school to learn not to be intimidated or bullied by someone else. I would be livid right now, I am sure it's not the first time this other child has bullied others and the school needs to be made aware of what your son is going through. good luck I understand how you feel. My 9 year old is really small, he weighs about 55 pounds, tall and slim and kids are always picking at him, it's not right.

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.