I have a 3-week-old and he is very fussy when feeding him. All I can say to describe it is he "tense" . He also tends to spit up a lot more than my daughter did. Could he be lactose intolerant? Or just a fussy eater? He is gaining weight and going about 3 hours between feedings. Any suggestions?

Atracy

Asked by Atracy at 3:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is your baby formula fed or breastfed?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Does he cry after he eats or just during?
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• He is formula fed. He doesn't cry out during or after, just very fussy and tense while eating. Once you pick him up to burp him, he will eventually settle down.
    Atracy

Answer by Atracy at 3:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Try making the bottle a little warmer than usul and then feed him about 1/2 an ounce, then burp him. After he burps he should be able to drink the rest without spitting up too much. Just make sure he burps the first time. Also check the nipple hole. When you turn it upside down it should only drip out slowly, not come out in a stream. If it comes out too fast he has to gulp it, and that causes more of a tummy ache. Hope this helps.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 4:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Try warming the bottle and burping him frequently. Also if you are using "straight bottles" you could try one of the "bent" vented ones. (trust me I have ran the gamut of formula issues with my son). If this doesn't work you will want to talk to your doctor before switching formulas and remember that you need to give each formula AT LEAST two weeks before switching again. My son was on 7 formulas total and ONLY Enfamil ProSobee would stay down. Although he had projectile vomiting and was losing weight. Most often the first thing they try is a formula suited for reducing colic because the proteins break down easier and if that doesn't work they start switching to hypoallergenic formulas such as Isomil, Prosobee, AR, etc. Good luck either way and feel free to PM me if you'd like.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Or maybe he will need Soy formula...my daughter did that and we switched her and she was a different baby:)))
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009