I need help...

my 8 month old does not like formula. and my own milk is not enough for him. He eats sold too, but I think he is not getting enough calcium. can I give him cow milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wouldnt but i would talk to your doctor/pediatrichian about it and see what they say....they suggest not starting it until 10-12 months but talk to them and see what they say..
    Anonymous

• No! Dairy is an allergy trigger and should not be given before baby turns one, if at all. You need to work on getting your milk supply up. Drink lots of water, take brewers yeast tabs (you can get these at a health food store or perhaps a pharmacy) or fenugreek caps (ditto), nurse as often as your baby wants, have lots of skin to skin contact with your baby, and relax.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• There is no thing magical about the day a baby turns one that suddenly makes it okay for them to have milk. If the baby has already been eating dairy products...more than likely, he'll be okay on milk.

I would speak to the pediatrician. Ours had us start early, but they were on all table foods, a balanced and varied diet and we had no food sensitivities for them or in the family. (no food allergies, either)

If he can/will eat other dairy products, you're fine. Just give him those.

Milk isn't a definite necessity as there are other sources for it's nutrients.

Talk to the pediatrician and see what he (or she) says.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm sure a little milk won't hurt him.. try diluting it a bit..you can also give cheeses... those are good sources of calcium.
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 4:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't use milk without the ok of your dr. A friend of mine gave her son milk when he was young out of desperation when they ran out of formula during a family emergency. He's ended up with severe allergies to milk and eggs. It's certainly possible that he might have ended up in the same place even if she'd waited until 1 but I wouldn't take the chance without the ok of your doctor.
    Anonymous

• Check with your Dr... but most generally TiccledBlue is always right.=)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Are you using powder formula? I know a baby that did not like the powder formula milk so now the parent have to buy the "ready" formula milk and the baby liked that milk better.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 7:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009