How do i get my 1 year old to stop sucking his thumb?!!!!

so my baby boy is 1 years old now and he wont stop sucking his thumb.. he use to do it just to go to sleep but its getting worse! now he does it all the time.. any tips and how i can get him to stop??

jji

Asked by jji at 3:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope...he will quit on his own just give him time...see if he is o or scaed or anything if ot let him be he will grow out of it
    Anonymous

• i know that some drug stores carry this stuff you can put on their thumbs that is nontoxic and tastes really bad. call you local drug store and ask your pharmacist. my mom used to use a spice on my thumb that i didn't like the taste of and she said it worked for me.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• At a year old he still has a very high suck need... it's part of his biology. You can try to help him meet his needs in other ways, but he can't just decide not to have those needs anymore - he needs to have the comfort and security that it means to him satisfied by you in another way, and he'll probably need to have the sucking need met in another way as well.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• honestly i would just let him suck his thumb.. it won't last forever.. he's still a baby...that's a comfort thing for him.
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 4:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'd let him suck. My son is 2 and still sucks his thumb. It's clearly a comfort thing. When he's happy, comfortable and engaged, he doesn't suck at all. When he's tired or anxious, the thumb goes right in. According to our dr, you dont' need to do anything until their 5, if they're still sucking it.
    Anonymous

• There isn't anything you can do at this age. It's not even an issue until they are older, so let him do it for now.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009