Has anyone had a stepparent adopt thier child?

I live in tennessee and used to live in ohio. my ex boyfriend denied being my baby girls father. so out of scorn i had a paternity test done and he is. he has never tried to come and see her whatsoever. i gave him ample opportunities to see her and step up to be a dad. this was all before i met my husband. the only thing he had ever gotten her was a birthday card when she was 1 year old. he new where i lived and he knew my phone number because his mom got it from him to call me to tell me she saw my little girl on the news. you know the 1 year old picture thing they do. anyways, my husband wants to adopt her because he had been there from the moment he came into our lives, and she has just turned 4 years old. any info anyone can give me is greatly appreciated of how i can do this, links, or even your own personal story. even pm me if you would :)

blueeyedgirls

Asked by blueeyedgirls at 6:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Adoption

• It is common. by law in your state, the biological father may need to be notified of the court date via petition or served notice, but as he has done nothing to validate his role as father, the judge will automatically rule against him if he shows up and will rule in favor of your current husband. good luck -- it is an excellent idea as it assures financial security for your child in future years - she is entitled to part of her step-dad's estate and he has a legal obligation to support her.
    Anonymous

• k, but ohio was where she was born, thats really a whole nother question isnt it?
    blueeyedgirls

Answer by blueeyedgirls at 7:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I'm going to be going through the same exact thing soon! I am in Texas though.
    MamaShae2Mason

Answer by MamaShae2Mason at 7:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• good luck!
    blueeyedgirls

Answer by blueeyedgirls at 7:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• in KS but wanting to go thru that also with my 8 & 9 yr old children
    ouromnifamily

Answer by ouromnifamily at 1:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• oops sorry Good Luck
    ouromnifamily

Answer by ouromnifamily at 1:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My mother and father split when I was 6 months old. He was seeing another woman and my mom moved in with her parents. They were only 21 years old. They weren't married and my mom met my "stepdad" that same year. He has spoiled me since my first christmas! When I was 3 years old they got married and he asked to adopt me. It took a few weeks to track down my "real" dad through his family members and she sent him a letter with the release of paternity forms and a note explaining the situation. Within 2 weeks he had sent the paperwork back signed and after a year and 200$ my last name was legally changed. My mom has always been honest about my father and I appreciated that. All these years I have had a Dad and even though we aren't blood he is the man I look up to. I thought maybe sharing my story would help you with your decision and give you some hope. What your doing is wonderful :)
    adeuslove07

Answer by adeuslove07 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• We went through this but the stepmother called to ask if DH would adopt her if BioFather gave up his rights. They were moving and didn't want to drive to get her or pay child support and in MO the only way to get out of child support is if the child is adopted. My DH said heck yes and $750 later and a few months and he is no longer her dad. There are alot of questions to be answered if they remember them but if not there is even more drama about when to tell them. Medical history wise it is good to keep contact with someone from the family and it is good for the child to know their biological medical background. Tough decision. PM me if you have any specific questions.
    KiLiCreations

Answer by KiLiCreations at 11:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• IF YOU DO THIS HE WON'T HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT....THINK ABOUT IT.I KNOW IT'S GOOD THAT HE IS IN HER LIFE AND WILL BE FOREVER BUT HER BF SHOULD STILL HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT,YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY,SF WILL STILL BE HER REAL FATHER HE IS ALL SHE KNOWS! GOOD LUCK
    Anonymous