Is it possible to get the "Smoke" smell out of cars?

aggie...
We are shopping for a new (used) SUV. It has pretty much everything we are looking for and a terrific price tag to boot! I swear I think the previous owner smoked..my husband didn't notice the smell.......I have no idea what to do? I hate to buy it and can't get rid of the smell......Is it possible to get the 'smoke' smell out of cars???? Has anyone owned a car and had this issue? the seats are leather...not cloth....

aggiewife

Asked by aggiewife at 3:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I WILL not buy a car that has a smoke smell in it. They try to cover it up, nothing works.

When we were looking the salesman tried to convince me that they had a machine that would take it out if we decided to purchase the car....I said, no way.

I can smell it a mile away....blahhh
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The dealership can have someone come in and use this machine that sucks the smell out of the vents and vehicle. Not sure what it costs but it can be done. I worked at a dealership and saw this done.
    PassionateIam

Answer by PassionateIam at 4:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• smoke smell will eventually wear off. It it helps, the smell isn't harmful - just annoying. I actually enjoy the smell *knock on wood* so it doesn't bother me.
    dovetailthreads

Answer by dovetailthreads at 6:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Hmmm...if vinegar can take cat pee smell out of stuff, I wonder how it would do with the car. I don't know if it would be leather friendly though...you'd have to test a spot.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 3:29 PM on May. 25, 2009