How common is it to have twins if both you and your partner have twins in their family?

Just curious, how common it is to become pregnant with twins when there are twins on both your side of the family and your husbands?

I have two great uncles that are twins, and then I have two uncles that are twins, both from my moms side. None of the my 7 aunts and uncles have had twins, but it keeps going around in the family now that all of us cousins are starting families that we are going to have twins.

Hubby never mentioned it until Last week that he has two sets of twins in his family too!!

Our grandma always said that it skips a generation.. so that would mean that my generation would be having the twins.. YIKES! Is this true??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your husband's family history won't change anything. If it was up to your husband, you would have several million babies each time. Your family history can play a part though iIt depends on the type of twins in your family.
    If they are identical twins - it won't change anything. The rate for identical twins is fairly constant across the entire population, regardless of age, race, or family history.
    If they are faternal twins - it can increase your odds if they are fairly close, like your own sbilings. Other factors that can increase your odds: if you are older (over 35), if you are black (asian has the lowest chance), if you already have several children, if you already have a set of faternal twins.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• thats what they say, but with my case there are no known twins on either side of our family and we are having twins, but than again there are also a lot of missing links on each side (i dont know my mom, he doesnt know his dad, his mom doesnt know her parents, ect.)
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm not sure how that works. I just know that for my aunt (who is a twin) it skips a generation so she's a twin (and has a brother and a sister who are NOT twins). My cousins are NOT twins, but they fully expect to have a set of twins.
    Anonymous

• http://multiples.about.com/od/pregnancy/a/familytwin.htm
    Anonymous