Can you use hand sanitizer on a 15 month old?

With this whole swine flu thing I'm very worried for my 15month old son. I know we can use it but would it be safe on a toddler?

Ad3n_M0mmy01

Asked by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you could. I mean it dries fast, so just use a small amount and supervise them for 30 seconds. It's common sense. It is possible to lick it off, but that is a child who someone put globs on their hands. They are not going to get drunk once it dries.

I would actually use the alcohol based one over the others because the alcohol one is safer in the long run and the one recommended by the CDC. The others use antibacterial ingredients like tricolason ( something like that) and those are part of the problem of over using antibacterial stuff.

Bringing a mini soap to can't hurt and a bottled water to do a quick rinse if that make you more comfortable.
    Anonymous

• Not on there hands if they put them in there mouth alot, hand sanitizer can acctually get them drunk.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If you use the kind with alcohol it has to be very limited... but there are hand sanitizers made without alcohol, some marketed especially for kids, others marketed as "natural"... check it out in the drugstore. Washing with soap and water is always best (for adults, too), but I don't think it's a bad idea to try to kill germs more often than you can wash...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The alcohol that's in the sanitizer is there to not only kill the germs but to also dry quickly. Once your hands are dry, there's no more alcohol.

I bought some alcohol-free hand sanitizer from the store to let my kids use. That way if they DID get ahold of the bottle themselves, I'm not having a heart attack thinking they're drunk.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Best thing to do is carry some hand soap with you. You can wash hands with that and some bottled water if you are too worried. I refuse to even have hand sanitizer in my home because of this: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 4:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• yes you can. i just saw it on the view this morning. check it out if you don't believe me
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 6:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I use hand sanitizer on my two year old sons hands. I use the kind from bath and Body. It dries fast and I dont see any harm in it. I just make sure its dry before he goes on playing.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yes, you can.

Put it in YOUR hands, rub your hands together and then wipe their hands.

Non-alcohol sanitizer isn't going to do a thing, and washing with soap doesn't kill the viruses (per the nurses in the PICU when my son was there for RSV)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Just use baby wipes, most of them have a sanitary effect anyways. The reason we have so many super bugs is all the anti bacterial stuff we use. Our bodies need to build up anti-bodies, so I wouldn't use it on someone that young. Not when a baby wipe would do the job, I am just not willing to take a risk.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Look here..

http://biology.about.com/od/microbiology/a/handsanitizers.htm

soap and water is just as good

luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009