She got caught sexting!!

I knew something was going on. She sent a naked pic of herself to a boy. Then that boy sent it on to everyone at school. Last week it finally got to the principal, and that's when I found out. I'm getting her into counseling, and thank God there were no charges filed.

How should I handle this? I really want to help her through this. She made a very bad choice, I've been doing the best that I can but I feel completely alone. Please no bashing! I'm beating myself up enough. (I've taken her phone away, and will be making some adjustments to it before I give it back.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• If she has a computer in her room, I would take that out as well.
    Anonymous

• hey she made a bad choice.. how does she feel??? thats were i would look for.. if shes ok with it then i would freak but if she is hurt and mad i would get all the help i could.. this is going t be uch a ruf time.. they didnt do anything to her at school???
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i agree with first poster. you should keep her home as much as possible. maybe even get her counseling. i dont know how old she is, but thats not exceptable. ever. good luck to you and i hope things get better.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My heart goes out to you. I agree with also removing any computers that she may have in her room. Hopefully she has learned her lesson, but it would be a long time before she had a cell phone, or computer access while alone if she was mine.
    Best of luck to you.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• well it ALL wasnt her fault, she wanted to send him a pic then after she did, it all got out of hand.

i wouldnt go as far as yelling and screaming, i would just explain how its not all her fault but it shouldnt be done again cause it could happen again.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I work cancel the internet, and just talk to her and ask why she did it, What was she thinking and explain to her why it's not ok. I wouldn't yell at her either, she's probably embarrassed enough and maybe get her some councling,
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• She doesn't have a computer in her room. She and the other boy got suspended from school. The school called the police, but they just scared the kids. In my state, this is considered a Class C felony.

I didn't yell at her, I hugged her. I was so scared that she had ruined her life. She is so young (13).
    Anonymous

• Let her know that you're on her side, but tell her what that means. That you won't condone her doing things that can hurt her. It helps when the child knows the the mom is rooting for her. At least that's how it was in my case when I was a teenager. If my mom freaked about something in front of my face it would aggravate me, but when she sincerely came to me and was concerned about things that I was doing, I was willing to open up and talk to her.

That doesn't mean you have to let her off the hook. Just make sure she knows that what you're doing is because you're looking out for her. Even if it's making her stay home with no cell phone or computer.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• First off why does a 13 year old CHILD need a cell phone to began with? If I were you she would NOT be getting that cell phone back, until she has her driver licence, until then I suggest you get her friends phone number and use that to contact her when she is not at home. All in all this is a pretty serious thing she is 13, she is a child, which means if this picture of her goes any further it probably wouldnt be hard for some prevert to get ahold of it, and for it to end up on every freakin child porn website there is. She needs to realize that its not just "all in fun" and it is a very serious "no no".
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• shes 13 maybe instead of counsiling you shoudl be more apart of her life.
    im sorry this happened but talk to her see why she thought she needed to do this . you taling to her is better thendragging her to someone else making her talk to a stranger . you are her mother.
    Anonymous