starting to wean...tips??

my daughter is 6 months old and has always been on breast feeding. we have tried to use bottles and binkies, even with breast milk, and she refuses. its like torture trying to give her anything else. She is on a few solids and is doing well mostly on the fruits of course, but even when she's willing to sip out of a sippy cup, its drops at a time. and now with her teething, i cannot go on much longer breast feeding her. any tips to get her interested in a bottle or sippy cup more enthusiastically?

MamaMinpy

Asked by MamaMinpy at 4:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't wait until she is hungry to offer her a bottle. Get her about halfway full with the breast, or at least to where she isn't crying when you stop, and then offer her a bottle of warm breastmilk. USUALLY that works.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You could try giving her a little bit of juice (diluted with water) to get her interested in the bottle first. But some moms are way against giving juice at all, so I don't know how you would feel about it. A little won't hurt though.

I agree with not waiting until she's hungry. Feed her 20 minutes or so before she would normally like to eat.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If teething is the only reason you are wanting to wean, consider the fact that this is usually just a little bump in the road. Check out Do I Need to Stop Breastfeeding When My Baby Gets Teeth?

and What Should I Do If My Baby Bites Me?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• the teeth is just one reason of many to wean. working is another. and bonding for daddy would be nice too. since she doesnt take the bottle of even breast milk....he feels kind of left out.
    MamaMinpy

Answer by MamaMinpy at 10:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My 2 older boys were so easy to wean compared to my 3rd boy. He was hospitalized for 2 months. He was released at 6 months. Before he was released, he had to eat baby food and drink from a bottle or sippy cup. I had to have a lot of help. Part of the problem was that he didn't want anything stuck in his mouth and the other was that we were dealing with his will. He didn't fully accept the sippy cup until he was 9 months old. He never did accept a bottle. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009