Walkers

Should i get a walker for my 8 month old to get her to start wlking i live in an apartment so there is no steps so she will be safe.

1Lilly

Asked by 1Lilly at 4:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. I got my daughter a walker about a week ago. She loves it. She's 8 months today.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i think the sooner the better with walkers. my six month old has been in one for over a month and she loves it.
    MamaMinpy

Answer by MamaMinpy at 4:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would still go with the exersaucer. she can reach up and get around into more trouble by pulling things down and over with a walker than a exersaucer.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• she has an exersaucer and she does not like just standing in there lol she crys when i put here in it
    1Lilly

Answer by 1Lilly at 4:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• To me walkers don't really teach them how to walk. It just something to occupy themselves and to minimize them getting into things around the house. My mom always told me it teaches a baby to be lazy.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 5:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My daughter just turned 5 months last week and she has been on it for the past 3 weeks. Umm I would have to disagree with your mom diamondmamma. It helps them develop stronger legs so that they can hold their body weight up. So yeah I don't see where it teaches a baby to be lazy?

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I heard they use the wrong muscles and don't teach them balance. They're still sitting, just moving their legs and we see it as walking. I also was told they cause bowlegs. My son has a jumper and it hasn't caused any problems.

I always thought they'd be a great idea until I heard those things.
    we're going to ask his doctor about walkers at his 6 month checkup.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009