Soon to be 13 year old daughter.............AGGGGGGGGGG Ms Attitude!!!

My DD lives with my ex (who lives in the same complex as us) with her 16 year old brother.
They come over at lease twice a week for dinner and usually stay the weekend.
For the last year my daughter has got such a major attitude. I know she's going thru puberty and mood swings but it doesn't give her the right to disrespect either myself or my DH. (It's been 8 years we've been together)

Things have been rough as we were fostering our nephew's and she was sharing a room with them. (They're 4/5 and are now gone)

Every time she acts up, and I try to disepline her or speak with her about her attitude, she runs home.

This weekend, we had a great weekend. She had a friend spend the whole weekend, I took the girls out for a movie and everything was going fine until Sunday morning.

Any ideas on how I can deal with her? Her father talks to her and backs me up, but it's gotten really bad.

gothlingmom

Asked by gothlingmom at 4:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a 12 yr girl, who was the sweetest, gentlest sole until six months ago! She is now evil....I swear an alien has taken over her body and mind! LOL...she's my second girl whose hit the beinnings of puberty. Pick your battles wisely and try to remember its just a phase and that in a yr or two they will get better. As long as, she's not getting into trouble, step back a little. Let her develope her personailty. Provide guidance and set some rules in place that she understands cant be bent. Good luck!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I know where you're coming from with this one. My daughters are the same way. Well they aren't as bad as they used to be but they are still mrs. attitude.
    doubletrouble95

Answer by doubletrouble95 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Absolutely agree with momsbreak5645. Also, be sure you keep your cool. The more you react and yell, the worse it gets. A few eye rolls never killed anyone, so don't react. In calm moments, you have to empathize a bit with all the changes she is going through and you can even explain to her that its normal she has mood swings but she has to try to control her attitude, etc. I also try to add a little humor (when it won't add to the problem!) and do some eye rolling, or whine when doing my 'chores'. You are lucky her father is supportive, but you might even tell her that you don't want to miss her teen years - you'd rather have her and her bad attitude around, so whether she wants a hug or wants to whine, you're there for her, etc. etc.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 11:09 AM on May. 4, 2009