Do you think it would be crazy to go camping?

in a tent with a 9 month old and a 2 year-old? My husband and I used to be campers, and we always said we'd start doing it with our kids young... but would you try it that young? Anyone with experience in this department? we were going to start simple... camping near our car at a site in a state park just for one night.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son went camping for the first time at nine months, so, it can be done. He had his first scrambled eggs and saw a squirrel being cleaned. He also played with pinecones.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• hmmm...my husband and i used to be campers too, but we haven't dared take our son yet and he is 2...I really don't know what to tell you but Good luck, you are very brave!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 4:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Go for it, Life is too short as it is!
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 4:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'd go for it. My parents took my three brothers and I when my youngers brothers were in that age range. (Admittedly, they had a small pop up camper but they had two extra kids...) I'd definitely stay close to home jiust in case you need to bail out. Enjoy it!
    Anonymous

• Go for it!
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• When my daughter, 13, was young, from 6 months on, we took her camping, We had so much fun. It was great to watch her "explore". She would fall asleep watching the fire etc. She still loves camping to this day! In fact last weekend was opening of Fishing Season here in Oregon and I was camped with about 20 people, kids, several dogs, we all had a blast. You should so go for it.
    jane2009

Answer by jane2009 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It would be worth a try. I think it would be fun to go and let your toddler do some exploring. Our son is two and I think we may try going this year.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think so but that's just because we took our 10 month old and it was complete HELL!!! She's 3 now and I still don't want to take her. AND... we had a camper. Good luck though!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• at the age they are at, your best bet is to get a cabin. I took my 10 months old at the time, camping, and we got a cabin, that way we didn't have to worry about animals, weather conditions, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I took two kids last summer! My son was six mos and daughter was 23mos. They were a handfull, admittedly, but they had such a great time! We were in a tent, and she knew we were right there! Taking them camping is no different than goin out of town for a weekend! Just make sure you take things from home that are comforting to them, like a blanket or favorite stuffed animal for bed! My kids played so hard in the water and such that they were too tired at the end of the day to fuss or care that we weren't home! We're going again this fourth of july, but for a WEEK this time and I can't wait!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2009