Do you think it would be crazy to go camping?

in a tent with a 9 month old and a 2 year-old? My husband and I used to be campers, and we always said we'd start doing it with our kids young... but would you try it that young? Anyone with experience in this department? we were going to start simple... camping near our car at a site in a state park just for one night.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as it is not too cold, I would say go ahead. Only you know what is best for your baby and your family.
    We went camping for a few nights when our son was 4 months old. We brought him a little portable bed so he was not sleeping on the ground and pitched our tent. He didn't know the difference and we had a great time.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i camped since my daughter was 4 monthes old. It depends on what you want to deal with. My daughter did REALLY well in a sling (i put it on my back most of the time) and i carried her around with me everywhere & all day. It was not that hard for me, but i am a hard core camper/backpacker, so i was willing to see how it would go. I was not going to let my lil sweet baby keep me from enjoying the outdoors. I thought it was eaiser at that age, when they want to walk everywhere is when camping gets hard. But i still did it, at every age.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Oh crap, we went camping when my son was 10 months old. Had just stopped breastfeeding a week before due to him biting. Sooooooooo was not prepared. I left a gallon of water in the car, thinking it would get all hot in there and stay warm over night. Um duh, no. So I couldn't nurse him, and to make a freakin bottle we had to get the propane grill going. Thank God we had that. It was May, but it was cold as crap overnight. So I guess you will be fine, just be prepared.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Last year we went with our nine y/o, two y/o and five month old. It was great! As long as it is warm enough you should be fine. We had the baby sleep with us so he wouldn't get too cold. I was nursing the baby so there was no bottles. If you are FF you could buy the pre-made formula just for the time you are there so you wouldn't need to worry about making formula. Or you could pre-make enough formula for the time you will be gone, just make sure you keep it in the cooler.
    We like camping with my sister, between us we have seven kids. To keep ourselves sane we pre-cook all of the food. We cook our hamburgers, soup, grilled chicken, bacon, eggs. So that when it is time to eat we don't have to spend an hour cooking. We can just heat up the food and serve. We freeze it all so it stays cooler longer. That makes it so much easier.
    If you are up for it have a great time!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009