Should I Take

Do you think I should take my 2 1/2 yr old to the doc, he's had a raspy cough for four days and is congested, but not fussy no fever, and is playing like normal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. Stop dairy for a few days. It could be an allergy to dairy or something seasonal.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• He has a cold and the cough can last for a couple of weeks. If you're concerned about the cough, have it checked out! Better safe than sorry (but then I'm a worry wort with two asthmatics! lol)

Stopping dairy is not going to do anything. If it was an allergy, it would have manifested before now (unless you JUST introduced dairy) and dairy causing problems as you've described is not that common.

The big thing is he's playing like normal. Is he itching or rubbing his eyes or nose a lot? If not, it's a cold...if so, might be an environmental allergy.

Go to town with the steaming in the bathroom, running the humidifier (cool or steam whichever works best), blowing his nose (or suction if he won't blow) saline nasal drops, plenty of water and Tylenol if he's uncomfortable.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Sounds more like allergy to me. I would say try to keep him inside a little more and do the saline nose spray, steam, etc.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• coul be an allergy but if you are worried I would take him in he could have something that needs medical attention. I always feel its better safe than sorry
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 11:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Stopping dairy will help with the congestion allergy or not. It could be an allergy to the pollen floating around outside in a lot of places now or simply a cold. Saline or breastmilk up the nose and then suction, steamy bathroom, all the normal congestion stuff. Honey and lemon in chamomile tea will help the cough along with a little peppermint extract for the congestion too. Drink it warm. Up his Vitamin C and Vitamin A intake and maybe add some echinacea and/or goldenseal drops to juice for him.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2009