Drag racing ????

Why do they call drag racing, drag racing? It is one of my kids homework question and I have no clue?

strawberryfrost

Asked by strawberryfrost at 4:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Entertainment

• "because the main purpose of the cars are to accelerate, and therefore fight drag. In other forms of race, traction is the limiting factor, but because you are only going straight in drag races, you can put massive tires on, but drag is still a major issue. The faster you go, the more drag there is, and weight is constant. So, really, the largest force that must be overcome is drag." from answers.yahoo.com

Answer by admckenzie at 7:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have a vague memory of hearing the answer to that on some program about drag racing... I think it was on Discovery Channel...

But I used to go with my dad when I was a kid. My son loves all things even distantly related to racing and I want to take him so bad. There just isn't a place close by, at least not that I know of...
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Thanks for your help!!!
    strawberryfrost

Answer by strawberryfrost at 5:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm thinking it has to do with the "drag" of the wind. I'll see if i can't find out more since my memory sucks.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Thank you all ladies you all have been a great Help!!!!!!
    strawberryfrost

Answer by strawberryfrost at 8:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009