baby food?

when did you start you child on baby food... mine is 4.5 mo

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 4:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cereal at 4mo.,veggies and fruit at 6mo.,combos by 8mo.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I started at 4 months and I don't regret it at all. I just felt like it was the right time. Seriously, you're the mom and you're going to make the best judgment on this. You'll get a lot of different opinions on here. The AAP recommends starting at 4-6 months. Here's a good site for some tips:

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I started cereal at 4 months, because he had doubled weight, was interested and lost the tongue thrust reflex. When I tried the fisrt bite, he ate right off the spoon and opened for more. So, I knew it was time to start for him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I started my first unintentionally at a little before 4 months. I was on a plane eating applesauce and she reached into the bowl and grabbed some. She loved it and I fed her the rest. I got praises from everyone on the plane because she didn't make a noise the entire time!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• we started on cereal at four months and did that for a solid three weeks then added a new solid food a week
    MamaMinpy

Answer by MamaMinpy at 5:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 4 months old and my mother has been trying to get me to feed her baby food for like 1 month now. I give her food here and there but I do not have her on a routine eating habit yet.
    ShayNKaysMommy

Answer by ShayNKaysMommy at 5:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My little girl started cereal from a spoon at a little after 3 months. Started applesauce mixed with cereal today at 4 months.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Keep in mind that before baby turns one, solids are for the experience of eating; nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula. We started solid at around 6 months.
    The world's best book for feeding babies and toddlers is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find it at your local library www.superbabyfood.com.
    Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods before baby turns one. This is not a complete list, but includes nuts and nut butters, wheat, soy, dairy, citrus, strawberries, chocolate. Stay away from juice; too many empty calories. Start with a sippy cup of water, then brown rice cereal mixed with breastmilk or formula, then cooked and smashed sweet potatoes.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My first started at 4.5 months by doc's recommendations... she loved it from early on. My second not till 6 months but even didn't much care for it until 7 months (now all the sudden she's obsessed). They say now for breastfed babies not till 6 months. There's no reason to rush it. I echo the pp message about Super Baby Food -- great book, we use it every day.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009