• In the Spotlight:

Tooth Fairy

My dd is 7...last night she said some kids in her class say the tooth fairy is their parents but she doesnt think so, but she doesn't know. We had a 5 yr old with us and my dd has only had the tooth fairy come once..so Im not ready to tell her (as if it is about me LOL). So I told her the tooth fairy is real and she dropped it...I feel bad. When do you go from them having doubts to really wanting to know the truth. I just want her to enjoy it and Christmas a few more times!! What age do they find out?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• they will eventually piece it together but let them do it at their ow speed
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My daughter knows that the tooth fairy and santa are me and her dad. We never acted like it wasn't.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I enjoyed Christmas and never believed in Santa. My kids enjoy Christmas and have never believed in Santa. They enjoy Easter and have nevr believed in the Easter Bunny.
    Christmas isn't about getting presents, Easter Isn't all about getting chocolates and candy.

Why do parents think they need to convice their children to believe something not true in order from them to enjoy childhood?

Why lie when they ask for the truth?
    you can still enjoy pretending together about those things even if they know it is just pretend. Just like they enjoy stories, cartoon, and other things.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I found it easier to say I don't know, but, if you stop believing, they stop coming. I never actually said, they are or are not real. My son is 13, and I never said either way, he just sat me down and informed me that he does know the truth and it is ok to stop with all the nonsense. I just laughed and went on. He laughed cause he knows.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My daughter was in second grade and found out about sex before she found out about the toothfairy and santa. A friend who lived on a farm told her, so I had to have a little chat. It wasn't too much longer though before she found out about Santa and the toothfairy. Between 2-3 grade is normal I think.
    scentnupcinci

Answer by scentnupcinci at 5:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• To this day my mom (I'm 35) swears there is a Santa. When I am at her house for Christmas, Santa visits and leaves me a present. I think I will do that too. It's fun..like a secret joke. Deny that you are the tooth fairy till the day you die and swear there is a Santa. Even when they confront you with the truth, and insist they KNOW ....just giggle & DENY...
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 5:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I love the look on their face on christmas morning when they "believe" santa came... I love it when they find their Easter Baskets that have been hidden by the "easter bunny" ... Childhood should be full of wonder and joy, excitement, and hope... I think that as a tradition we have done this with our children because we found so much joy in it when we were children.. When our kids come to us and say that someone told them they aren't real I just tell them they can think what they want, and don't say anything else.. They will find out soon enough, it comes with age, w/e age that is I don't know.. I think they grow up too fast as it is, why take the fun out of it for them? I do what I feel works for us, what others do doesn't affect our lives. Our 12 yr old found out from kids at school in the 3rd grade that everything is fake.. He didn't care, and now he has fun with his little brothers on the holidays..
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 5:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think once my child figured it out or questioned it, I would probably go ahead and tell them. I dont think its right to lie to them!
    Anonymous